ARC Review: Blame It on the Mistletoe by Beth Garrod

10:00

Blame It on the Mistletoe
Series: None
Author: Beth Garrod
Published November 2nd 2021 by Sourcebooks

Goodreads Synopsis
Tweet Cute meets the movie The Holiday in this funny holiday rom-com where two very different girls swap lives for a Christmas adventure.

Elle is a social medial star with the #DreamLife...or so it seems. Determined to shake up her content and gain new followers, she's on a mission: can she find a British fan to swap with for Christmas?

Holly loves everything about Christmas. But after a mortifying mistletoe disaster with her ex, her perfect plans unravel like a bad Christmas sweater. Can Holly save the holidays when she switches places with favorite social media influencer?

Elle gets more than she bargained for when she meets the cute boy from across the street. And Holly wasn't expecting Elle to have a handsome twin brother. This holiday is full of surprises.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via Edelweiss. This in no way impacted on my view.

In a YA remake of The Holiday, two teenagers find themselves swapping lives for a few weeks, in the lead up to Christmas. British teen Holly loves nothing more than the Christmas season, but when her sister announces she won't be home until Boxing Day, and the mam has sold the house and they moving in with her boyfriend, Christmas doesn't quite seem the same. When her favourite social media star, Elle, announces she wants to do a swap with someone for Christmas, just when her boyfriend breaks up with her, Holly can't help but jump at the chance. And it's even more fated, when it's revealed that Elle's mam was Holly's mam BFF as kids. Elle and her family have moved around a little, and following her having to close her old social media account because of trolling, and twin Nick being very distant, she needs out. Can she achieve her goals of social media stardom, or will she realise there's more important things than likes and followers.

I first heard about this book when I spotted it on Edelweiss one day, and hadn't even realised it had been published the previous year in the UK (where I live) as All I Want For Christmas. I initially requested it because I love cutesy Christmassy books, and there's not that many out there, so I was hoping for a new one. And though I had my reservations to start off with, this book was definitely right for this time of year. Initially, the characters grated on me, especially when it came to the whole social media story line - which I hated across the entire book. However, once I got to know the characters a little more, and we see more of their growth as characters, and not just with regards to the challenge, it definitely improved. I think that teenagers will really enjoy this one, and it was a real feel good holiday book!

Dates Read:
December 12-17, 2021

Rating
4 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments