ARC Review: Wicked Serve (Beyond the Play #4) by Grace Reilly

13:00

Wicked Serve
Series: Beyond the Play #4
Author: Grace Reilly
Published August 13th 2024 by Avon/Headline Eternal

Goodreads Synopsis
He’s my brother’s biggest hockey rival… but he’s bringing the heat for me.

Nikolai

Hockey is my life, and I need to make this last season count. But when I’m forced to transfer to rival school McKee University for my senior year, I risk pissing off the captain, who happens to be the older brother of Isabelle Callahan: the gorgeous beam of sunshine I messed around with in secret this summer.

Rekindling our fling could risk her brother icing me off the team—not to mention the fact that my scarred past makes having a real relationship impossible—and yet the moment I see Isabelle again, all my wild, burning feelings come rushing back.

Izzy

I have two goals for sophomore year: win back my old volleyball position, and forget I ever knew devilishly handsome hockey defenseman Nikolai Abney-Volkov. As the youngest and only daughter in a family full of athletes, failure isn’t an option.

But when Nik crashes back into my life, I can’t stay away from his broody charm. I’m determined to guard my heart this time, but between the furtive hookups and the heartfelt conversations, the lines between friends-with-benefits and more begin to blur.

As we fall deeper into a place we can’t come back from unscathed, we’ll have to make a choice: fight for a future together, or watch it go up in flames.

Filled with swoons, spice, sports, and koalas, Wicked Serve is a don’t-miss new adult college sports romance.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher, via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

Izzy Callahan is a star volleyball player, but after spending the summer in New York, working for a prestigious wedding planner, she wants more than just the game. However, she also wants the only boy she shouldn't have - though she did this summer - Nikolai Abney-Volkov. Nik is her brother Cooper's arch nemesis, and the two have come to blows more than once on the ice. But Nik is sweet, and the time they spent together this summer proves how made for each other they are. It was just a fling though, and they're off to different colleges, where they'll be enemies again, right? Wrong, as Nik takes the fall for a younger team mate, and the only hope he has to finish his degree, and play hockey, is by transferring to McKee, and joining Cooper's team. Seeing Izzy again is one of the hardest things he's ever done, but he's damaged, and he legacy his father left him haunts his every move.

I've found my favourite book in this series! Nik and Izzy were the couple, and it was both heart wrenching, and heartwarming to read their romance. They were so right for each other, and they fought to be together so much! I'm in awe with how utterly made for each other they were, and the moments when it was just them, being vulnerable and opening up about their pasts, were perfect. I was worried how Coop and Nik's animosity would play out, especially given their past, and Coop now being Nik's captain, but Grace wrote their development from enemies to best friends so well. The epilogue was the piece de resistance, and really tied the whole series together! I need Grace to write some more books, and stat!

Dates Read:
September 1-2, 2024

Rating
4 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments