Review: Breakaway (Beyond the Play #2) by Grace Reilly

11:00

Breakaway
Series: Beyond the Play #2
Author: Grace Reilly
Published September 28th 2023 by Headline Eternal

Goodreads Synopsis
Cooper
As a pro-bound college ice hockey player, I usually have my pick of puck bunnies. But lately, I’ve been in a dry spell that feels more like a curse, and the stress is affecting my game – the one thing that can’t happen if I’m going to make team captain.

Enter Penny Ryder.

She’s my coach’s daughter, but from the moment she grabs me on the ice rink, she’s the only thing on my mind. She wants me to introduce her to all the things she’s been dying to experience in the bedroom. If I say yes, I’ll be relaxed on the ice again – but if her dad finds out, I can kiss any chance of being captain goodbye.

Penny
Thanks to the ex from hell, I’m a long way from being ready for a relationship – but it’s finally time to reclaim my agency, one sexual experience at a time.

Enter Cooper Callahan.

He’s the most casual guy I can think of – but he just so happens to be my hockey coach dad’s star defenseman. The agreement is simple: become secret friends-with-benefits until he makes captain, whilst I cross off all the experiences on my list. Yet the longer our connection goes on, the less I want to say goodbye.

I know love can lead to heartbreak, but what if it could also clear the ice for a breakaway . . .?
Goodreads

Review
For Cooper Callahan, he knows he's bound for the NHL, and he is on fire on the ice. However, his game outside of the rink is off, and he's worried it's affecting his chances of leading his team to the finals. Seeing Penny Ryder lights a spark in him, but she's definitely off limits as the coach's only daughter. But Penny has other ideas. She was burned by her ex from hell, and wants to explore her sexuality with another guy, but with no strings attached. Asking Cooper to help her cross items off her list, he agrees as long as it's all kept quiet. Soon though, they're spending more and more time together, without working on the list, and their no-strings-attached relationship is suddenly anything but.

I loved the first book, okay, but Penny and Coop will always have a place in my heart. They were a couple that were made for each other, but just didn't know it. Penny's ex was a complete SOB, and he deserved everything that he got, and she deserved the earth. I'm glad she was able to deal with her trauma in her own way, and Coop was the gentlemen we all needed him to be. This is definitely a spicy book, but the in-between scenes were so cute and showed the growth in both characters. Definitely a contender for favourite book couple!

Dates Read:
August 29, 2024

Rating
4 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments