Review: Stealing Home (Beyond the Play #3) by Grace Reilly

12:00

Stealing Home
Series: Beyond the Play #3
Author: Grace Reilly
Published September 28th 2023 by Headline Eternal

Goodreads Synopsis
Sebastian
It’s my final season to prove myself before the MLB Draft. The last thing I need is a distraction -especially not one as tantalising as Mia di Angelo. She’s the drop-dead gorgeous astrophysicist-in-training who ditched me the moment I wanted to take us from casual to committed. But when she needs somewhere to stay for the summer . . . I can’t help but offer her my place.

Being roommates can’t be that hard, can it . . .?

Mia
I have two goals this summer: get into a study abroad program and get over baseball god Sebastian Miller-Callahan. It’s not easy to stop thinking about him, but he deserves better than a prickly, career-focused girl like me. And the last thing I need is to play roommates with the only man who can set my body ablaze, when our futures could not be more different.

But why do all the feelings I pretend that I never had come rushing back, far too strong for either of us to ignore . . .?
Goodreads

Review
Sebastian Miller-Callahan has a dilemma: does he continue with his baseball and follow in his late father's footsteps, or choose his own path? Orphaned when only a boy, he's been lucky that the Callahan's raised him as their own, alongside his pseudo-siblings James, Cooper, and Izzy. However, he's now at the age to enter the MLB draft, and the press are swooping in to see him make his mark, and Sebastian doesn't know if that's what he wants any more. And it's not helped by the fact his head has been turned by Mia di Angelo, the best friend of Coop's girlfriend, and the person he hooked up with last year before it got too serious and she bailed. Mia's only aim for this year is to make it onto the prestigious study abroad programme, and become the astrophysicist she's always wanted to be. However, hiding her degree from her family, who think she's studying to become a teacher, before marrying and having a family, is hard, and she knows they would never understand. Staying on campus for the summer internship, she's forced to move in with Sebastian when her dorm floods, and the close proximity reignites the sparks, and feelings, from last year. 

This was definitely my least favourite of the series, but it was still enjoyable. I just felt like the couple didn't have the best romance, and it felt forced at times. Even so, I loved the growth in both characters, and the way they championed each other to go after their dreams, and ignore all the outside pressures trying to force themselves into something they just weren't. Sebastian definitely went toe-to-toe for Mia, and she was self aware enough to know that she couldn't be selfish anymore, and had to accept hers and Sebastian's feelings were valid.

Dates Read:
August 30-31, 2024

Rating
4 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments