Review: First Down (Beyond the Play #1) by Grace Reilly

10:00

First Down
Series: Beyond the Play #1
Author: Grace Reilly
Published September 28th 2023 by Headline Eternal

Goodreads Synopsis
James
Football is my everything. But when I transfer to McKee University to escape the distractions that nearly cost me my future in the NFL, I’m faced with another consequence: retake the writing class I failed at my last college, or lose any chance I have at making it big. That’s where fellow senior Beckett Wood – gorgeous, stubborn, and just my type – comes in. She’s the key to my success in this class . . . but the price of her help is a fake relationship, and I never do things halfway.

Bex
I don’t mess around with athletes, and handsome, self-assured James Callahan is no exception. He wants me to help him pass the writing class we’re both stuck taking, but I’m too busy to take on yet another responsibility. But when his teammate – my cheating ex – won’t leave me alone, I realize I need to convince him I’ve moved on . . . and what better way than by pretending to be with James, who wants nothing to do with a real relationship?

But with every fake kiss, why does James pull me deeper into a place that thrills me?

And why don’t I want it to end?
Goodreads

Review
In order to save his potential football career, James Callahan needs to transfer schools, and retake a writing class at McKee University. He hated the class the first time around, and it doesn't fit with his maths degree. Luckily, the stunning girl he's partnered with has also already taken the class, and if he can convince her to tutor him, he'll be saved. But Bex doesn't want anything to do with athletes, especially one as handsome as James. She was cheated on by a footballer - one of James' new teammates - and she isn't about to let her heart get broken again. However, her ex won't take no for an answer, so agreeing to help James with class if he pretends to be her boyfriend, sounds like a win-win situation, until they forget it's all pretend.

I spotted this series in The Works the other day, and since I'm in my sports romance era, I decided it would be perfect to end my summer with. First Down introduces us to the Callahan family, who's father was a pro-footballer back in the day, and all the children are pros in their own fields. James, the eldest, made a mistake in his previous college, and transferring over to McKee is his only hope. He wants to make it big in the NFL, and he's got the talent to do so, but his writing class will potentially pull down his grades, and could ruin it all. He also needs to keep away from girls and romance, but Bex is someone who makes him want to risk it all. I loved the dynamic between them, because they really became friends before the relationship turned romantic. Both had their imperfections, but they were honest and open about them, and made the relationship work. I wasn't a fan of the dad in this book, but I can see why he was a bit tough on James, wanting the best for him. Bex and James are a couple for the ages, and reading the rest of the series, their romance was well worth all the pain!

Dates Read:
August 28, 2024

Rating
4 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments