ARC Review: Borrow My Heart (Borrow My Heart #1) by Kasie West

10:00

Borrow My Heart
Series: Borrow My Heart #1
Author: Kasie West
Published June 13th 2023 by Delacorte

Goodreads Synopsis
When a girl overhears a guy getting verbally destroyed by his friends for being catfished, she jumps in to save the day—and pretends to be his online crush. A young adult romance from the critically acclaimed author of Places We've Never Been.

Wren is used to being called a control freak. She doesn’t care; sticking to the list of rules she created for herself helps her navigate life. But when a cute guy named Asher walks through the door of her neighborhood coffee shop, the rulebook goes out the window.

Asher is cute, charming . . . and being catfished by his online crush. So Wren makes an uncharacteristically impulsive decision—she pretends to be the girl he's waiting for to save him from embarrassment. Suddenly she’s fake-dating a boy she knows nothing about. And it’s . . . amazing.

It's not long before Asher has her breaking even more of her own rules. But will he forgive her when he finds out she's not who she says she is? Wren's not so sure. . . . After all, rules exist for a reason.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

After overhearing a cute boy about to be embarrassed on social media after his 'date' catfishes him, Wren does the unthinkable and pretends to be the girl he's waiting for. Wren would never do anything like that, as she has rules upon rules over who she dates, and how, but she can't stand by and see Asher be so embarrassed. But what was intended to just be a one time thing soon spirals out of control when Asher appears at the shelter she volunteers at, even at the Olive Garden she's visiting with her family. As the two spend more time together, she knows she needs to tell him the truth, but she's falling for him too much.

As soon as I saw that Kasie had another book coming out, I immediately requested it. I love her books so much, and the idea of a fake dating romance, where only one of the characters knows it's not real - at least initially - drew me in. I liked Wren, but felt like she was a bit too high strung at times. I understood why she was that way, and when we finally met her mother, she was even worse than I expected. However, the many rules that Wren had were hindering her, rather than protecting her, and it was shown in how the one time she acts impulsively, it leads to Asher. The lying to each other was hard to deal with a little, and I actually thought we'd gotten over the drama at the 2/3 mark, but then it took a turn that I really wasn't expecting. I'm glad that Wren was able to allow Asher to explain, and the scenes with the dogs were so sweet. This is part of a series apparently, and I think book 2 will probably focus on Kamala and Dale, but I'm not sure. Even so, I'll be impatiently waiting for it!

Dates Read:
May 28-29, 2023

Rating
4 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments