ARC Review: Wing Jones by Katherine Webber

10:00

Wing Jones
Series: None
Author: Katherine Webber
Published January 5th 2017 by Walker Books

Goodreads Synopsis
Jandy Nelson meets Friday Night Lights: a sweeping story about love and family from an exceptional new voice in YA. With a grandmother from China and another from Ghana, fifteen-year-old Wing Jones is often caught between worlds. But when tragedy strikes, Wing discovers a talent for running she never knew she had. Wing's speed could bring her family everything it needs. It could also stop Wing getting the one thing she wants.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

This was one of the 2017 debuts that I'd been interested in for ages, and when I was able to review a copy, I jumped at the chance. Wing Jones is about the main character, Wing, who has to deal with her brother being in a coma, and she does so by running. For years, she has struggled to find her identity, as her grandparents are from China and Ghana, and she's never really fit, within school. When she discovers her ability to run, and do it well, she finds herself relying on it, to take her mind off the tradegy her family is facing.

Firstly, I found the writing in this book perfect for the content. From the first page, you were drawn into the environment and era, and I could easily picture what I was reading about. Set in 1990s Atlanta, Webber doesn't gloss over the social issues facing Wing, and her family. They're struggling to earn and save enough money to live, and when they have to pay for more and more medical bills, it makes the problem even harder. Wing finds herself thinking that she's their only hope, and with her running ability, she could help if she can find a scholarship, or sponsorship.

There's also some romance in this book, which I did enjoy, but I much preferred the running aspect of the book. It was swoony at times, but I wasn't as invested in the romance as I would have liked to be. The ending was also a bit 'meh', and just ended, when I felt there needed to be a bit more tied up, but that's what I've found with many contemporary books.

All in all, this was a debut worth waiting for, and I look forward to reading more from Webber in the future.

Dates Read:
November 21-22, 2016

Rating

4 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments