Review: Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows #2) by Leigh Bardugo

10:00

Crooked Kingdom
Series: Six of Crows #2
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Published September 27th 2016 by Orion Children's Books

Goodreads Synopsis
Kaz Brekker and his crew have just pulled off the most daring heist imaginable.
But instead of divvying up a fat reward, they're fighting for their lives. 
Double-crossed and badly weakened, they're low on resources, allies and hope.
While a war rages on the city's streets, the team's fragile loyalties are stretched to breaking point. 
Kaz and his crew will have to make sure they're on the winning side... no matter what the cost.
Goodreads

Review
See my review of book 1, Six of Crows.

I've been dying to get my hands on this book since I read Six of Crows last year. The world that Leigh has taken us back to, and the new gang of characters, were wonderful to read about in book 1, and I hoped book 2 would be no different.

And, for the most part, it wasn't. I still enjoyed the story, and the majority of the characters, but there was still one character who I disliked, which will probably get me a lot of hate - sorry, not sorry. Basically, I don't like Kaz Brekker - never have, really - and find him extremely annoying. All of his actions, and chapters, grated on me, which I think was one factor in me reducing my rating to 4 stars.

In this book, the gang are facing the aftermath of Van Eck's betrayal. Rather than rolling in the money, they're down a member, and penniless. Inej was taken by Van Eck, and the group will do anything to get her back, and get payback on Van Eck.

With regards to the plot, I had no issues, until the end. It was fast paced, and so well thought out and well written, that I was guessing what would happen right up until the last page. However, I did feel the end was a bit rushed, I guess. There was one big thing I didn't like, and then the stories didn't seem to tie up. Really, it felt like it was a middle book in the series, or at least a book that would have a sequel, because the ending left me with more questions than were answered. Again, this made me rate the book as 4, instead of 5, stars.

The romances in the book were wonderful to read. There are 3 different ships, and I like each one, even Kaz's - it's the only time he didn't get on my nerves. My favourite remains to be Matthias and Nina - my favourite characters - and every time they were on the page, I just loved it. If there was a book just about them, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, I could read more and more of them.

Though I didn't give the book 5 stars, I still loved it, and would read anything by this author. I can't wait to see what Leigh brings out in the future.

Dates Read:
October 1-4, 2016

Rating

4 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments