ARC Review: You Only Live Once (Gracie Dart #1) by Jess Vallance

10:00

You Only Live Once
Series: Gracie Dart #1
Author: Jess Vallance
Published August 23rd 2018 by Hot Key Books

Goodreads Synopsis
The start of a hilarious new teen series for fans of Geek Girl.

Gracie Dart has always worked hard and she's got a wall covered with revision timetables and French verbs to prove it. But now GCSEs are behind her and she suddenly starts to think: what was the POINT of it all?

When Gracie thinks she's dying of a disgusting tropical illness, she starts to worry she's been wasting her best years being sensible. It's like people say: you only live once - so isn't it about time she started LIVING?
(OK, so the tropical illness turned out to be a fake-tan miscalculation. Anyone could make the same mistake.) 

When Gracie decides to do something, she does it properly. Gracie Dart is about to live out her dreams. However embarrassing.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

I hadn't heard about this book until it's sequel was uploaded to NetGalley, but I thought with the comparison to Geek Girl, it might be something I enjoy, so I requested book 1 too. Yes, I did enjoy it, but it wasn't anything much, and there were times when I really couldn't believe how immature Gracie was, for someone who has just finished her GCSEs. She cares too much for her status, and blows off her normal friends to hang out with people who see deems to be better - spoiler, they really aren't. She treats people like crap, is selfish, and doesn't care about the consequences. I liked some of her interactions with other characters, like her little brother and her nan, but other than that, I didn't enjoy this much. I think it's probably aimed at younger teens, even with the main character being sixteen.


Dates Read:
January 9-17, 2019

Rating
3 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments