ARC Review: To Win Her Honor (Blood and Nobility #1) by Verna Cyril

10:00

To Win Her Honor
Series: Blood and Nobility #1
Author: Verna Cyril
Published November 9th 2021 by Dragonblade Publishing, Inc.

Goodreads Synopsis
Lilianna, the oldest daughter of Baron Wilthermore, decides to pay an unchaperoned visit to Lord Jarrick Warren, the Earl of Sittcliff. Her father is known for misuse of his money. Fearing destitution, Lilianna must seek help from someone with wealth and power. She makes up her mind to seduce Jarrick, but little does she know, he does not take orders, and certainly not from women.

Jarrick finds a beautiful woman in his bed, intending to use her grace and charm to solicit money from him. Unimpressed, he doesn't surrender to the little nymph’s ploy. Out of duty, he grants her the sum requested and dismisses her. However, once he discovers his visitor’s true identity—she is the gentle-bred daughter of Baron Wilthermore—he demands that she fulfill her end of the bargain and spend the night with him. And many more, if he gets his way...
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

This is not going to be like my normal reviews, just because this was not like my normal read. I hate DNFing books, which is honestly why I forced myself to finish this mess of an ARC. I've only ever rated one other book 1 star, but I could not give this any higher. 

First of all, when exactly was this book set? There's a hero who is going off to war all the time, wearing chain mail, and riding into a 'court'. There's a king and prince who keep waging war, so maybe Henry II and Richard I? But then there's mention of the theatre, regency, society, etc., so perhaps he means George III and IV?

Secondly, the heroine was annoying, the hero worse, and none of the secondary characters were any better. And what was the plot? The heorine's dad gambled away all their money, and her dowry, so she rides to a neighbouring lord's home, gets in his bed, and is willing to sell herself for money? But the hero thinks she's low born, so won't sleep with her, but still gives her money. When he realises she's not, and she's a 'lady' (though she wouldn't have that title as the daughter of a baron, but I digress), he's riding over to bed her immediately. He takes her back to his home, but still won't do the deed. She returns home, is told she needs to marry her awful cousin as she has disgraced the family, refuses, and the cousin kills her dad. Then the hero marries her, and leaves her at home while he goes off to war (where though?). They fall in love - oh really, *eye roll* - and then she's kidnapped, but not raped. The hero doesn't believe that, and when she reveals she's pregnant, he runs off again, until he realises he loves her, and can't lose her. Queue happy ending!

I am honestly shocked that this publisher - who I read regularly and enjoy the books they publish - deemed this one worthy of a beautiful cover, and a release. I don't even think this author is a debut author either, not when I checked out her GR page. This book needed to be completely ripped apart and re-written. I don't think there's anything really redeeming in the book, and if I see any more books by this author on NetGalley, I'm not reading it - I have more respect for myself than to force myself through that drivel! A truly awful book!

Dates Read:
June 9, 2023

Rating
1 Star

You Might Also Like

0 comments