ARC Review: Izzy + Tristan by Shannon Dunlap

10:00

Izzy + Tristan
Series: None
Author: Shannon Dunlap
Published March 7th 2019 by Orion Children's Books

Goodreads Synopsis
This isn't a story about anything new. It's about the oldest thing in the world. It's about love.

Sixteen-year-old Izzy, a bright aspiring doctor, isn't happy about her recent move from the Lower East Side across the river to Brooklyn. She feels distanced from her family, especially her increasingly incomprehensible twin brother, as well as her new neighbourhood.

And then she meets Tristan.

Tristan is a chess prodigy who lives with his aunt and looks up to his cousin, Marcus, who has watched out for him over the years. When he and Izzy meet one fateful night, together they tumble into a story as old and unstoppable as love itself.

From an exciting new voice in YA, this is a gripping tale of first love for anyone who loved All the Bright Places and The Hate U Give.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

In a modern day retelling of the classic Tristan & Iseult, our heroes find themselves in a tale as old as time - a love story. When Izzy and family move to Brooklyn, she doesn't know what to expect. But within days, her brother Hull has gotten into a fight at the park, been arrested, and sent to a therapy programme in the city. She is left alone at the new school, and meets Tristan - who was instrumental in the fight - but falls for him immediately. Unfortunately, his cousin, Marcus, who most of the school are afraid of, wants to mess with Hull, and thinks that Izzy would be perfect for that. Keeping their relationship a secret, will Izzy & Tristan be able to be together, or will their love story become a tragedy?

I quite like the tale of Tristan & Iseult, and have read another YA retelling of it recently. When I heard about a modern retelling, I wasn't sure how it would work, and unfortunately, I was right. This book just felt strange, and there's no other way to describe it. I mean, set in 2018 (I think?) the whole idea that because a guy called dibs on a girl - who never gave any inclination that she liked him - had the right to be angry when his cousin fell in love with her, was a bit much. I never really warmed to any of the characters either. It's told in three points of view: the knight (Tristan), the queen (Izzy), and the rook (Brianna), and of the three, Tristan's was probably the best. Brianna's had no really need to be there - and her character was too wishy-washy for me. Izzy was okay, but bland, and for someone who was so clever, and wanted to be a doctor, she was naive. I liked the inclusion of the chess playing, and seeing Tristan flourish that way. I've seen some reviews going on about how shocking the ending was, or how moving, but, honestly, it was obvious. If you know the original material, it wasn't a surprise, at all, and I think it was played up a little for theatrical benefit. Honestly, if I hadn't wanted to finish this book to help clear my NG ratio, I would've DNFed it.

Dates Read:
January 28-30, 2021

Rating
2 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments