ARC Review: Castles in Their Bones (Castles in their Bones #1) by Laura Sebastian

10:00

Castles in Their Bones
Series: Castles in their Bones #1
Author: Laura Sebastian
Published February 1st 2022 by Hodder & Stoughton/Delacorte Press

Goodreads Synopsis
The plot: overthrow a kingdom. The goal: world domination. The plan: marriage.

Trained for from birth in espionage and seduction, the triplet princesses of Bessemia must travel to three distant lands to marry three princes and enact their Queen mother's plan to rule from sea to sea. But when they arrive, each sister discovers her task is not so simple, and their mother's motives may not be what they seem.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

The Empress of Bessemia may have a country under her control, but she's nothing if not ambitious, and why else enlist a empryea to fall pregnant with triplets, if not to use them to gain dominance over the continent? The princesses Daphne, Beatriz, and Sophronia, now about to turn 16, know that soon they will be leaving home, marrying foreign princes, and setting in motion a plan years in the making, all for their mother's own gain. But as they meet their 'new' countries, and soon learn that their mother's goals may not align with their own, can they achieve their goals, or will they fall into danger, with no way out?

I've been waiting for this book for so long! I love Laura's Ash Princess trilogy, and when I learnt about this story, and the synopsis, I immediately sent in my review requests. As soon as I started my copy, I knew I needed to savour it, because it was just so good! Told in the pov's of the princesses, we soon learn that though they are privileged, their lives haven't been one of love or even affection, really. They were being raised as lambs to the slaughter - some more than others - and were only pawns in their mother's game. I'm going to admit, I warmed to Sophronia the most, with Daphne being the most aloof, and difficult to like. But by the end, I adored all three sisters, and the last 20% or so, I just devoured because I needed to know how they manage all the plans which are taking place simultaneously. The ending killed me, and I honestly don't know how I'll wait until book 2 is released! Such a fantastic story, with epic world-building, and amazing characters - a hit from Laura, yet again!

Dates Read:
January 30-February 4 2022

Rating
4 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments