ARC Review: The Switch Up (The Switch Up #1) by Katy Cannon

10:00

The Switch Up
Series: The Switch Up #1
Author: Katy Cannon
Published June 13th 2019 by Stripes Publishing

Goodreads Synopsis
WILLA
Drama queen
Fashion guru
Spontaneous
Looks like Alice

ALICE
Bookworm
Allergic to fashion
Planner
Looks like Willa

LAX Departure Lounge. Two girls board the same flight to London as complete strangers. When the plane touches down, it’s the beginning of the craziest plan ever. Can Willa and Alice really swap lives for the summer?

Things are going to get complicated...

The first in a fun new series, this summer read is The Parent Trap meets Freaky Friday and is perfect for fans of GEEK GIRL and SUPER AWKWARD.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher, via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

Two girls bound for London from LAX decide to pull off the biggest prank ever. Willa Andrews and Alice Wright have never met before, but when they are put together in the Unaccompanied Minors lounge, abandoned by the parents for the summer and sent to stay with people they've never met, they hatch a plan. For the three weeks they are going to be away from home, they'll swap lives, and be the other person. Alice wished she could stay with her father in Australia, rather than being shipped off to London to stay with his 'friend' (girlfriend), and Willa wants more than anything to be in London, at her acting course, rather than on a farm in Italy. It sounds like the perfect plan, and somehow, they pull it off. But the longer they spend with the people they meet, the harder it is to lie and keep up the facade. And what will happen when the truth, inevitably, comes out?

This is a book that I've tried to read about three times now, and every other time I only managed to get about a third of the way through before moving on to something else. However, I decided to start 2022 focusing on old ARCs, and persevered through The Switch Up, and it's sequel, quite quickly. This was an okay book. It's definitely one focused on more of the younger side of YA, and I reckon kids in years 7-9 would love it. Out of the two characters, Alice was my favourite. I think she has a similar personality to what I had as a teen, whereas Willa was too much of an extrovert and very dramatic for my liking. I did feel really sorry for them, feeling abandoned by their parents for the summer, when they were going through changing and challenging times in their lives. I enjoyed the book, but I think the amount of lying to others and lack of planning annoyed me a little too much, so I only gave this book 3 stars. If you enjoyed The Parent Trap or Freaky Friday, this is probably a book for you.

Dates Read:
January 1-2, 2022

Rating
3 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments