Review: These Vengeful Souls (These Vicious Masks #3) by Tarun Shanker & Kelly Zekas

10:00

These Vengeful Souls
Series: These Vicious Masks #3
Author: Tarun Shanker & Kelly Zekas
Published February 20th 2018 by Swoon Reads

Goodreads Synopsis
England, 1883. On the run with the grieving Sebastian Braddock, Evelyn wants two things: to be reunited with her friends, and to get revenge on the evil Captain Goode. Not only has he misused his and Sebastian's powers to rack up a terrible death toll, but he's also completely destroyed any hope of Evelyn or her friends regaining the life they once knew. 

Evelyn is determined to make Captain Goode pay for what he's done, but is her revenge worth risking the lives of Sebastian and her friends? Or is it better to flee the city and focus on staying alive? And with the Captain spreading lies about Sebastian in an attempt to flush them out of hiding and turn the populace against them, does she even have a choice at all?
Goodreads

Review
The previous books in this series had always sated my love of history and fantasy, and when the final book, These Vengeful Souls, was announced, I knew I needed to order it, and (im)patiently waited next to the post box for my copy to arrive - just in time for my birthday. This time around, we are with Evelyn and co. just days after the events of These Ruthless Deeds, and they are struggling with their grief and anguish. After being used so horrifically by Captain Goode, Sebastian doesn't know what to do with himself, or with his powers, and as much as Evelyn is finding herself falling for him, she also can't reconcile herself with her need for revenge and retribution, no matter the cost.

I really liked this book, but found bits lacking or going in a direction I didn't care for. I love the characters, all of them, but some made decisions in this book that were a bit too out there, even for me. Evelyn is hell bent on revenge, and has become consumed by this need that she makes some very silly decisions, which I wouldn't have expected from her previously. Also, parts of the book dragged, while other bits were wrapped up a bit too quickly/easily, as if the pacing was off for it. I don't know if that was just me reading it with such high expectations, or what, but I found the ending a bit lacklustre, if I'm really honest. All in all, enjoyable, but a bit disappointing.

Dates Read:
March 7-9, 2018

Rating
4 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments