ARC Review: Editing Emma (Emma Nash Series #1) by Chloe Seager

10:00

Editing Emma
Series: Emma Nash Series #1
Author: Chloe Seager
Published August 10th 2017 by Harper Collins

Goodreads Synopsis
When sixteen-year-old Emma Nash is ‘ghosted’ by the love of her life Leon Naylor, she does what any normal teenage girl would do…
Emma spends the summer lurking in her bedroom, avoiding all human contact (and the shower), surrounded by the collection of chewit wrappers she saved from packs Leon gave her, back when he actually acknowledged her existence…

But seeing Leon suddenly ‘In a relationship’ on Facebook with the perfect Anna, spurs Emma into action and she embarks on a mission to make positive changes to her life (or ‘edits,’ if you will) and vows to use the internet for more than obsessively stalking Leon’s activities! Instead, she will use it for good and noble causes like finding someone who will actually be nice to her, and recording her findings for the rest of the world to see (i.e. BFF Steph and her mum) on her new Editing Emma blog.

But Emma soon discovers her ‘habit’ is harder to break than she first thought – turns out she’s not the only one ‘editing’ herself online (thank you Tinder for finding her mum’s profile, age 35, really?) and that life through an Instagram filter isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be. But it could be worse, she could have outed her best friend, accidentally chatted up a 12 year old boy and revealed to the world why Leon Naylor is worth no girl’s time or virginity… oh no wait, that’s exactly what happened…
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

I had put off reading this book for so long, and I'm not even sure I know why. Eventually, I decided that during the summer, when I wasn't busy with work, I should try and get through some of the ARCs that I had left on my TBR too long. Everything I had seen about this book, from people talking about it online, to various reviews, had been glowing, and I was expecting really good things from it.

Emma has been 'dating' this guy, Leon, when he ends up ghosting her. She is really struggling with the break up, and decides to make a private blog where she vents all of her anger and issues. She ends up sort of creating this new online persona for herself, 'editing' herself on her public social accounts, but is real in private. She is very honest in her blogs, about things like periods, masturbation, and other things that teenage girls deal with, but tend to be shoved under the carpet and not spoken about in reality. This book definitely would be one that I think some teenagers would like, but I just never liked Emma. She was shallow and only cared about Leon, or finding a new boy to obsess over now that Leon is with someone else. She just simply wasn't a good character, in my view, and I think that's part of the reason I only rated this book a 3. She read as a young teenager, not a 16 year old, and was so self obsessed, that I couldn't get over it. I have seen the comparisons with Louise Rennison's books, which I really liked when I was younger, and it is similar, but I'd always pick Louise's books, over this one. Yeah, I won't be reading the sequel, but at least I've ticked another ARC of my to read list.


Dates Read:
August 2-4, 2018

Rating
3 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments