ARC Review: The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games #1) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

10:00

The Inheritance Games
Series: The Inheritance Games #1
Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Published September 3rd 2020 by Penguin

Goodreads Synopsis
An utterly addictive and twisty thriller, full of dark family secrets and deadly stakes. Perfect for fans of One of Us is Lying and Knives Out.

She came from nothing.
Avery has a plan: keep her head down, work hard for a better future.
Then an eccentric billionaire dies, leaving her almost his entire fortune. And no one, least of all Avery, knows why.

They had everything.
Now she must move into the mansion she's inherited.
It's filled with secrets and codes, and the old man's surviving relatives -
a family hell-bent on discovering why Avery got 'their' money.

Now there's only one rule: winner takes all.
Soon she is caught in a deadly game that everyone in this strange family is playing.
But just how far will they go to keep their fortune?
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

As soon as I heard about this book, it was added to my wish list, my goodreads, and anywhere else I could think of. I was so desperate to get my hands on it, and when my request was denied on EW, I could've cried! Luckily, once it became available on NG to request, I was approved straight away, and once I finished my current read, I couldn't stop myself from diving right in. Avery Grambs is coming to terms with her mother's death, and living with her half sister, Libby. Both aren't that well off, and Avery often leaves to live in her car when Libby's creep of a boyfriend turns up, but she has a plan go get to university, study actuarial science and statistical risk assessment, and use her poker face to make her money. When she returns home one day to find a handsome guy, suited to boot, she is told she is named in the will of an eccentric billionaire, and soon finds herself on a private jet to Texas. Now, she thought that maybe she might get a couple of thousand dollars, but low and behold, she inherits everything, and there's nothing the Hawthorne's can do about it. Tobias Hawthorne was all about his puzzles and his secrets, and along with the four grandsons, Avery needs to find out just why she was picked by someone she didn't know to be heiress, and what role she has to play in the Hawthorne boy's futures.

Jennifer Lynn Barnes is just one of the best authors I have ever read. All of her books are perfect, and this one is no different. From the moment you pick up this book, you don't want to put it down for anything. Avery, as a character, was phenomenal, and we really felt all the emotional upheaval she went through in this book, from learning she had more money than she would ever know what to do with, to being shot at, to having conflicting feelings for the boys in the house, who might just be planning on killing her. She really had a tough time, and I just loved her! The perfect heroine for this book! 

The plot and mystery was hands down out of this world. At times I thought I knew what was coming next, but the very next page made me second guess myself, and other than some really small plot points, I never would've worked it all out. Even down to the epilogue, we have questions that have been answers, or still need answering, and reading this book in July, knowing I'll have to wait months and months for book 2, is a killer! The romance is very much secondary in this book, but definitely a key player. I really love the chemistry between Avery and Jameson, and need to see more of them in the sequel, and see how they deal with the events of The Inheritance Games. Definitely one of my favourite books of 2020, and you all need to read this, ASAP!

Dates Read:
July 5-6, 2020

Rating
5 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments