ARC Review: Loveless by Alice Oseman

10:00

Loveless
Series: None
Author: Alice Oseman
Published July 9th 2020 by HarperCollins Children’s Books

Goodreads Synopsis
The fourth novel from the phenomenally talented Alice Oseman – one of the most authentic and talked-about voices in contemporary YA.

It was all sinking in. I’d never had a crush on anyone. No boys, no girls, not a single person I had ever met. What did that mean?

Georgia has never been in love, never kissed anyone, never even had a crush – but as a fanfic-obsessed romantic she’s sure she’ll find her person one day.

As she starts university with her best friends, Pip and Jason, in a whole new town far from home, Georgia’s ready to find romance, and with her outgoing roommate on her side and a place in the Shakespeare Society, her ‘teenage dream’ is in sight.

But when her romance plan wreaks havoc amongst her friends, Georgia ends up in her own comedy of errors, and she starts to question why love seems so easy for other people but not for her. With new terms thrown at her – asexual, aromantic – Georgia is more uncertain about her feelings than ever.

Is she destined to remain loveless? Or has she been looking for the wrong thing all along?

This wise, warm and witty story of identity and self-acceptance sees Alice Oseman on towering form as Georgia and her friends discover that true love isn’t limited to romance.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

Loveless sees university fresher Georgia discover herself and her sexuality while away at Durham University, 300 miles from home. For as long as she can remember, she's never really had the same feelings for people that it seems all teenagers have, and when she tries to kiss her long time crush at the sixth form prom after party, it's a complete disaster. At least at Durham, she has her best friends Pip and Jason with her, even if they're in a different college, and on a different course. In her own college, she meets roommate and feeling English student, Rooney, who is out every night, and is very vocal in romantic endeavours. More and more, Georgia starts to think there's some inherently wrong with herself, and tries to find romance, in whatever way she can - sometimes leading to disastrous events. The more she pushes herself, the more it's apparent that romance and feelings just isn't for her, and she discovers new terminology which may make her feel seen for the first time in years. Will she discover herself, or will she lose her friends in the process?

This book was one I wasn't even sure if I was going to read. I'm more than happy to admit I absolutely hated Alice's debut, Solitaire, way back in 2016, and I actually think how much I disliked that book was one of the pushing factors for me starting to blog and reviewing books, the good, the bad, and the ugly. However, I have heard loads of positive things about her recent books, and when I saw that I was auto-approved for Loveless, I decided to give it a go. I can 100% say that this book was leaps and bounds much better than Solitaire was. Loveless was raw, and difficult at times, but I really resonated with Georgia, so much. You might not know this, but I went to Durham University, for my PGCE, and am from Durham, so seeing so many different aspects of the city done right was absolutely gorgeous! Because I was post grad, and part time, I was never really in college, but was part of Van Mildert College when it came down to it. I also found myself thinking more about sexuality when reading this book too, because some of the things Georgia was going through, and coming to terms with, resonated with me, and I'm not sure where I stand now, when it comes to identity, if I'm being honest. Maybe it's nothing, but maybe it could be something I need to think about a bit more?

Some of the characters did grate on me a bit, especially Pip, who was far too dramatic and over the top for me, but I appreciated her and Georgia's friendship. My favourite character was definitely Rooney, Georgia's roommate. I didn't really get her at first, but the more we saw her be vulnerable, and open herself up to Georgia, I really felt for her, and just want to give her the biggest hug. Jason and Sunil were really good secondary characters, too, but Georgia and Rooney took the prize for favourite. Now, I think I might give some of Alice's other books a try, and I definitely think this book is one that others will enjoy so much!

Dates Read:
June 26-July 4, 2020

Rating
4 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments