ARC Review: Liberty: The Spy Who (Kind of) Liked Me by Andrea Portes

10:00

Liberty: The Spy Who (Kind of) Liked Me
Series: None
Author: Andrea Portes
Published June 6th 2017 by HarperTeen

Goodreads Synopsis
What is a hero? Paige Nolan knows.

Sean Raynes, the young man who exposed America’s unconstitutional spying techniques, is a hero, even if half the dum-dums in the country think he’s a traitor. And her journalist parents, who were captured by terrorists while telling stories of the endangered and oppressed—they were heroes, too. Or are—no one has ever told Paige if they’re still alive, or dead.

Not heroes? Anyone in the government who abandoned her parents, letting them rot somewhere halfway across the world.

And certainly not Paige herself, who, despite her fluency in five languages and mastery of several obscure martial arts (thanks, Mom!), could do nothing to save them.

Couldn’t, that is, until she’s approached by Madden Carter, an undercover operative who gives her a mission: fly to Russia, find Raynes, and discover what other government secrets he’s stockpiled. In exchange, he’ll reopen the case on her missing parents.

She’s given a code name and a cover as a foreign exchange student.

Who is a hero? Not Paige Nolan, but maybe, just maybe, Liberty is.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

This book immediately appealed to me as soon as I heard about it. Having a teenage character use her skills to become a spy was definitely something I wanted to read, so I was overjoyed to have a copy sent to me to read and review.

Paige has lost her parents - or has she. She doesn't know whether her famous journalist parents are alive or dead after being captured by terrorists, and no one in the government will tell her anything. She believes that something is being kept from her, so when Madden, a spy, comes to her and asks her to help him in a clandestine operation in Russia, she jumps at the chance, as long as he helps her find out what actually happened to her parents.

I so wanted to like this book, but, honestly, it was too unrealistic for me. I never really clicked with Paige's character, and the amount of disbelief and shaking my head I did while reading it just made me want to stop reading the book. I did read through until the end, but I didn't find myself enjoying it any more, and honestly, felt like it was a waste of my time at the end of the day. Not something I would recommend, nor an author I would read from again.

Dates Read:
May 18-20, 2017

Rating
2 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments