ARC Review: Rogue (Talon #2) by Julie Kagawa

10:00

Rogue
Series: Talon #2
Author: Julie Kagawa
Published May 7th 2015 by MIRA Ink

Goodreads Synopsis
Deserter. Traitor. ROGUE. Ember Hill left the dragon organization Talon to take her chances with rebel dragon Cobalt and his crew of rogues. But Ember can't forget the sacrifice made for her by the human boy who could have killed her—Garret Xavier Sebastian, a soldier of the dragonslaying Order of St. George, the boy who saved her from a Talon assassin, knowing that by doing so, he'd signed his own death warrant. Determined to save Garret from execution, Ember must convince Cobalt to help her break into the Order's headquarters. With assassins after them and Ember's own brother helping Talon with the hunt, the rogues find an unexpected ally in Garret and a new perspective on the underground battle between Talon and St. George. A reckoning is brewing and the secrets hidden by both sides are shocking and deadly. Soon Ember must decide: Should she retreat to fight another day...or start an all-out war?
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

Rogue picked up right after the events of Talon, and I loved the way we dove straight into the action. In this book we were lucky to have the opportunity to see into the minds of four characters: Ember, Garret, Dante, and Riley. I really enjoyed the differing PoV's, though my favourite still remain Ember's and Garret's (who are by far my favourite characters in general).

Though I had really enjoyed Talon, this book blew it out of the water. I feel as though Talon was more of an introductory book, and Rogue wasted no time in getting straight to the point, and being as action packed as possible. I actually felt as if the book was in two parts at time, there was that much happening. The Rogue network/underground was really interesting, as was seeing more of the Talon hierarchy through Dante's eyes. I'm really looking forward to finding out more about both of these groups, as well as about the Order of St. George in book 3, and subsequent instalments.

Those who have read Talon will understand what I mean about the love triangle between Ember, Garret, and Riley, and it was further explored here. Personally, I ship Ember and Garret, though I can understand why some would enjoy the relationship between Riley and Ember. The romance, though not central to the plot, was definitely a large part of the novel, and for the most part I enjoyed it, as it never detracted from the seriousness of the events.

Overall, Rogue was the perfect follow up to Talon, and I thought it set up the action for book 3, Soldier, perfectly. I'd definitely recommend this book to those who loved Talon, and for anyone who is a fan of YA Fantasy.

Dates Read:
April 21 to 27, 2015

Rating
4 Stars 

You Might Also Like

0 comments