ARC Review: Make Me Hate You by Kandi Steiner

10:00

Make Me Hate You
Series: None
Author: Kandi Steiner
Published October 6th 2026 by Arndell

Goodreads Synopsis
If he kisses me right now, I’ll drown.

Every sip of air is shallow and burning, because in the arms of my best friend’s brother, I’m the closest I’ve ever been to sin.

His eyes flick to my lips, and I remember the first time I tasted him, seven years ago before I left this town and vowed never to return. His hands grip my waist, and I remember the pain when he rejected me, when my entire world crashed down at his command. His jaw clenches, and my senses come alive with one stinging reminder.

I’m not his to kiss, and he’s not mine.

I tried to stay away from Tyler Wagner, putting an entire country between us. But when his sister’s wedding brings us back to the same town, to the same house, I can’t avoid him, no matter how hard I try.

He’s always there, his dark eyes bewitching, luring me into their depths. The memory of us pulls me under like a rip current, and when he flashes that smile, I lose my breath, along with my will, unable to escape his grip and find the surface.

Now, hours before our plus ones arrive for the wedding, I’m in his arms, begging him to make me hate him, knowing he never could.

If he kisses me right now, I’ll drown.

And I’ll take him down with me.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher, via NetGalley & Edelweiss. This in no way impacted on my view.

Jasmine Olsen is nothing without the Wagner family, and the Wagner kids - Morgan and Tyler - are her best friends. On the morning of her 18th birthday, Jasmine receives some news from her estranged mother, and she needs her best friends to get her through it. Morgan's not home, but Tyler is, and they spend an amazing night together. But then Tyler acts like it was nothing, and Jasmine vows to never think of him, or see him again. Now seven years later, and she manages to avoid her home until her invite to Morgan's wedding arrives, and she can't ignore her best friend. She knows that she will have to be brave and see Tyler again, but Jasmine is now in a happy relationship, and her work as an influencer keeps her busy anyway. No matter how hard she prepares herself, it's still different to be in the room with the only person you've ever loved, and who broke your heart.

This was my first book by this author, and I listened to the audiobook when I was travelling in the summer. I wanted to love it so much, but in the end it was a very basic book, in my opinion. The FMC & MMC did have great chemistry with each other, that wasn't the issue. I just didn't like their characters, really, and the added cheating subplot was a definite turn off for me. The stand out character was Morgan, but she wasn't without guilt in all the problems that occurred. I do have some more books by Steiner that I will get around to reading eventually, but I don't think I'll be in much of a rush.

Dates Read:
August 28-30, 2026

Rating
3 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments