ARC Review: The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

10:00

The Sun Is Also a Star
Series: None
Author: Nicola Yoon
Published November 3rd 2016 by Corgi Childrens

Goodreads Synopsis
A story of a girl, a boy, and the universe

Natasha: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story.

Daniel: I’ve always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents’ high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store—for both of us.

The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

Natasha and Daniel are just two teenagers, navigating life in the big city. But underneath their external persona, Natasha has less than 24 hours until she and her family will be deported to Jamaica, and Daniel is struggling with the pressure his family is placing on him. Meeting in the street, again and again, it's as if fate has a hand in their relationship. Will 24 hours be enough to change their lives, and the lives of everyone they meet along the way?

After reading Everything, Everything, I was really looking forward to Nicola's newest book, and overjoyed when I was approved for the eARC. Life got in the way however, and I never actually got around to reading The Sun Is Also a Star until recently. I liked the book, but it was strange, and didn't grip my attention quite like Nicola's debut did. Daniel and Natasha were interesting characters, but the little asides and secondary plot lines started to get on my nerves, and I switched off. I wanted the best for the pair, and Irene's story did keep me hooked, but I honestly found myself skimming the final third or so of the book. I am glad I had got around to reading it, but found myself wishing that maybe I had just done it at the time, because it left me wanting more. 

Dates Read:
March 9-12 2023

Rating
3 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments