ARC Review: Nettle & Bone by T. Kingfisher

10:00

Nettle & Bone
Series: None
Author: T. Kingfisher
Published April 26 2022 by Titan Books/Tor Books

Goodreads Synopsis
A dark and compelling fantasy about sisterhood, impossible tasks and the price of power, from award-winning author T. Kingfisher

After years of seeing her sisters suffer at the hands of an abusive prince, Marra―the shy, convent-raised, third-born daughter―has finally realized that no one is coming to their rescue. No one, except for Marra herself.

Seeking help from a powerful gravewitch, Marra is offered the tools to kill a prince―if she can complete three impossible tasks. But, as is the way in tales of princes, witches, and daughters, the impossible is only the beginning.

On her quest, Marra is joined by the gravewitch, a reluctant fairy godmother, a strapping former knight, and a chicken possessed by a demon. Together, the five of them intend to be the hand that closes around the throat of the prince and frees Marra's family and their kingdom from its tyrannous ruler at last.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

Marra has been living in a convent for the last fifteen years of her life, waiting for the day she is needed to save her sister. The younger princess of a small kingdom, she has been kept in reserve as the wife of a wicked prince, who caused the death of her eldest sister, and is currently married to, and abusing, her middle sister. Enough is enough, and now Marra is strong enough to seek out the assistance of a gravewitch, and discover her own powers to stop the prince once and for all.

Well, I had really high hopes for this one, and am disappointed. First of all, I really thought this was YA, but it clearly isn't when the MC is in her thirties. I don't know if I've been looking at a different book or whatnot, but this was not what I was expecting. I liked the premise of the story, and the way that Marra definitely grew stronger the further into the book we got. However, I just was never really hooked. I could've put the book down a number of times and wouldn't really have been too fussed about returning to it if not to clear my NG backlog. The ending was worth pushing through, I guess, but I don't think I'll be returning to this author any time soon.

Dates Read:
September 20-23, 2022

Rating
3 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments