ARC Review: Love on the Brain by Ali Hazelwood

10:00

Love on the Brain
Series: None
Author: Ali Hazelwood
Published August 23rd 2022 by Berkley Books

Goodreads Synopsis
A STEMinist rom-com in which a scientist is forced to work on a project with her nemesis--with explosive results.

Like an avenging, purple-haired Jedi bringing balance to the mansplained universe, Bee Königswasser lives by a simple code: What would Marie Curie do? If NASA offered her the lead on a neuroengineering project--a literal dream come true after years scraping by on the crumbs of academia--Marie would accept without hesitation. Duh. But the mother of modern physics never had to co-lead with Levi Ward.

Sure, Levi is attractive in a tall, dark, and piercing-eyes kind of way. And sure, he caught her in his powerfully corded arms like a romance novel hero when she accidentally damseled in distress on her first day in the lab. But Levi made his feelings toward Bee very clear in grad school--archenemies work best employed in their own galaxies far, far away.

Now, her equipment is missing, the staff is ignoring her, and Bee finds her floundering career in somewhat of a pickle. Perhaps it's her occipital cortex playing tricks on her, but Bee could swear she can see Levi softening into an ally, backing her plays, seconding her ideas...devouring her with those eyes. And the possibilities have all her neurons firing. But when it comes time to actually make a move and put her heart on the line, there's only one question that matters: What will Bee Königswasser do?
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

All Bee Königswasser has ever wanted was to work with NASA, so when the call came for her to join a new team in creating a new spacesuit, and taking a lead with an unknown partner, she couldn't wait to arrive in Houston. But when she arrives and learns that her partner would be Levi Ward, the very man who seemed to make her life hell through graduate school, Bee soon realises it's not going to be easy. And when her orders start going unheard, and she's locked out of the main systems, it seems like all of Bee hopes and dreams are about to crumble. Until, that is, Levi starts backing her, and supporting her.

I'm going to admit I haven't read The Love Hypothesis, and have missed the hype with Ali's books. But I have wanted to read it, and so when I was sent the review copy for Love on the Brain I thought this one would be a good way to start. And my god, was this amazing! I was hooked from the very first page, and the tension and chemistry between Bee and Levi was outstanding. I read this late one night, and every time I got to the end of a chapter, I thought about putting it down and going to sleep, but I couldn't - I needed to get to the end, to see if Bee and Levi got their happy ending, with their house and garden, or not. The drama in the book was done extremely well too, and though I guessed at some of the twists and turns, I loved the way Ali wove them into the plot line. Now I need to get my hands on a copy of The Love Hypothesis, and hope I'll be lucky enough to get a review copy of Love, Theoretically next year!

Dates Read:
September 17, 2022

Rating
5 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments