ARC Review: Lessons in Ruin (Her Majesty's Matchmaker #3) by Avery Maitland

12:00

Lessons in Ruin
Series: Her Majesty's Matchmaker #3
Author: Avery Maitland
Published December 9th 2021 by Dragonblade Publishing, Inc.

Goodreads Synopsis
“Dearest Diary, there is something to be said for our little games… I have begun to find allies where I previously thought I had none. But I cannot trust everyone, now can I? There are whispers everywhere, but I will tell only you my secrets.”

Constance Blackwood has had some luck with her delicate arrangements, but not everyone is pleased with the games she had been playing with the reputations of Queen Charlotte’s courtiers.

A match gone wrong could spell the end of Constance’s little assignments—and it is difficult not to suspect that her closest allies could be planning her downfall.

The Earl of Farraday’s only daughter has been unlucky in love, and now that her third season has just ended, the earl is desperate to see her married. But when an unexpected match made in the first blush of spring sets tempers alight, the Countess of Farraday will look to Constance for an explanation, and a quick marriage to ensure that their daughter’s honor remains intact.

Another problem weighs heavily on Constance’s mind. Her precious diary has been stolen, and whoever has taken it is in possession of information that could change the course of Constace’s fortunes and spell the end of everything she has worked so hard to build.

Constance must move quickly to be sure that she, herself, does not become a Lesson in Ruin...

Her Majesty’s Matchmaker is a steamy Regency Romance series featuring a determined heroine who will stop at nothing to make her own way in the world, all while navigating the sometimes dangerous world of the Royal Court.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher, via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

Miss Selena Rowe may be the daughter of an Earl, and one who is the confidant of the king, at that, but she has no interest in the usual pursuits for a woman of her station, nor in marriage. Much to her mother's horror, Selina buys some of Lord Byron's possessions after he left England, and has involved herself in salon's where she meets the handsome, and suave Greek revolutionary, Alexander Markasis. When the Countess of Farraday brings in the known matchmaker, Constance Blackwood, to try and marry off Selina, Constance is in with quite a task. And when she realises her private diary, with all of it's gossip about court life, has been stolen and she is being blackmailed, has Constance bitten off more than she can chew?

I don't know what to say about this book. I think I'm a bit of a masochist to continue reading this series, though I don't dislike the books, I just don't find them anything special. This is book 3 in the series, and with each story, I think it's running it's course. Constance is alright as the protagonist of the series, but she never really does anything, and I'm getting a little sick of her, if I'm honest. I was sort of pleased that her diary had been stolen, because at least it changed up the whole story a little, than being very much the same as the previous books. Selina and Alexander's romance wasn't bad, but it was a little contrived at times. Especially the way they fall in love so quickly, want to run away, hole up in a dingy inn, and then she's abducted and locked in her home. The 'conclusion' of their romance, too, was utter ridiculous, and I was honestly rolling my eyes reading it. And just when I thought the series would be over, the epilogue makes it seem like there's more to Constance's story - though what, I would've liked to know earlier. Maybe I'll read more, maybe I won't, but I'm on the fence about it!

Dates Read:
May 23-26, 2022

Rating
3 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments