ARC Review: Sweet Black Waves (Sweet Black Waves #1) by Kristina Pérez

10:00

Sweet Black Waves
Series: Sweet Black Waves #1
Author: Kristina Pérez
Published August 27th 2019 by Square Fish

Goodreads Synopsis
As best friend and lady-in-waiting to the princess, Branwen is guided by two principles: devotion to her homeland and hatred for the raiders who killed her parents. When she unknowingly saves the life of her enemy, he awakens her ancient healing magic and opens her heart. Branwen begins to dream of peace, but the princess she serves is not so easily convinced. Fighting for what's right, even as her powers grow, will set Branwen against her best friend and the only man she's ever loved.

Kristina Perez's debut features star-crossed lovers who change the fate of two nations. Inspired by the legend of Tristan and Eseult, this is the story of the legend’s true heroine: Branwen.

For fans of Graceling and The Mists of Avalon, this lush young adult fantasy about warring countries and forbidden romance will have readers entranced. 
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

I had seen this book around on book twitter every now and then, so when it was announced that it would be published in the UK, and I was offered the opportunity of reviewing a copy, I knew I needed to give it a go.

In Sweet Black Waves, Princess Branwen has been living at the royal castle, with her aunt and uncle, the King and Queen, as a handmaiden to the crown princess, Eseult. Her parents were killed years ago by raiders from their enemy kingdom, with whom they have been at war with for years. One day, Branwen is down on the beach, when she discovers a washed up guy, looking as if he's the only survivor of a wreck. With pirate's on the horizon, she drags him to a nearby cave, and uses her medical knowledge, learnt from her aunt, and understanding of the magic of the land, to heal him, and they soon fall in love. However, it becomes clear that he is Prince Tristan, of the enemy kingdom, sent to the castle in order to negotiate a peace settlement, culminating in the marriage of his uncle, King Marc, to Princess Eseult. Now, Eseult doesn't want to marry the king, and has another suitor in mind, who will fight for her hand in the tourney. All Branwen seems to care about, though, is Tristan, and hopes beyond hope that he survives, and that they can finally be together.

Now, I will admit, I don't know anything about the Tristan and Iseult myth, so I was partly shocked by the turning in the book. If you know the original story, you'll know what happens, but to me, I wasn't expecting it. Branwen was a character I appreciated, but parts of this book got on my nerves, namely princess Eseult. She was a spoilt brat, which I think is supposed to be excusable because she's a princess, but she never seemed to care about anything but herself. I mean, Branwen is supposed to be her only friend, and her cousin, but Eseult treats her like dirt. She doesn't even seem to care about what happens to the kingdom, especially if it gets in her way. Like I said, Branwen is some I liked, but about the only character I did. I found her and Tristan's romance much too quick, and initially didn't believe in it, but later on, it grew on me. 

The ending of the book was a definite cliff hanger, and I will be reading book 2, eventually, as I have a copy, but I don't think I'll be in a major rush if I'm honest. This book was ok, but nothing special.

Dates Read:
October 21-23, 2019

Rating

3 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments