ARC Review: Announcing Trouble by Amy Fellner Dominy

10:00

Announcing Trouble
Series: None
Author: Amy Fellner Dominy
Published August 5th 2019 by Entangled Publishing, LLC (Crush)

Goodreads Synopsis
I may know everything there is to know about baseball, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it. Or like him. Garrett Reeves: sidelined player and the embodiment of everything I’ve learned to hate about baseball. He’s gorgeous, he’s cocky, he’s laser-focused on getting back in the game, no matter the cost.

When he convinces me to call games alongside him, our chemistry heats up the booth. We’re good together, whether I want to admit it or not. I’m finding that I like baseball again, but even worse, I’m liking Garrett. A lot.

But when he has to decide between our future and a new shot at his dreams, I know baseball will win out every time. 

Disclaimer: This Entangled Teen Crush book has tons of hilarious banter, lots of sexual tension, and a hero who will throw a wild pitch right at your heart.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

I've never really been someone who enjoys baseball - it's not really a thing that's played over here - but even so, when I first saw this book online, I was immediately intrigued and dove right in as soon as my request had been approved. Josie has always loved baseball, and knows the sport like the back of her hand. However, when her deadbeat dad left them to and regain some of his old glory as a mid life crisis, Josie was immediately turned off from the sport, and wants nothing to do with it. So when she goes to a game at school, just to support her friend who has a crush on one of the players, she finds herself angry with the announcers, who know nothing, and interrupts the commentary to basically take over, and do a proper job. This soon leads to Josie becoming one of the permanent colour commentators, along with injured pitcher Garrett, and though she doesn't want to get close to him, and be hurt like her mam was by a baseball player, she can't find it in herself to stay away, from him, or from the sport.

I really liked this book, and like I said, I'm a complete baseball novice, but that didn't hinder my enjoyment at all. Josie was one of the best main characters I've ever read, being witty and sarcastic, but also had a softer side, more vulnerable, that we saw come out as we learnt more about her family history. Being just her and her mam, Josie has always had a plan to go into business and stay as far away from baseball as possible, but now with the competition, and her realisation that her love for the game doesn't have to be tainted by her hatred of her father, Josie doesn't know what to do. I felt like this was probably the most realistic part of the book, as a lot of 17/18 year olds question their choices, when it comes to going to university, or getting a job, or something different, and Josie's internal struggles really seemed authentic.

The romance between Josie and Garrett was a nice, slow burn, with the chemistry being off the page from the get go. I loved the banter between them, how they played off each other, and both actively fought their attraction, but it was bound to happen. They really seemed to help each other too, get to grips with what they wanted to do with their lives, and stop lying to themselves about what they want, or what they are capable of doing. All in all, Announcing Trouble was a really cute read, and I look forward to reading more from this author in future.


Dates Read:
June 26-30, 2019

Rating
4 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments