ARC Review: Bloodwitch (The Witchlands #3) by Susan Dennard

10:00

Bloodwitch
Series: The Witchlands #3
Author: Susan Dennard
Published February 21st 2019 by Tor

Goodreads Synopsis
Bloodwitch is the third book in the stunning Witchlands series by Susan Dennard, perfect for fans of Robin Hobb and Trudi Canavan.

Loyalties will be tested as never before.

The Raider King's plans to claim the Witchlands are under way. Now, his forces sow terror in the mountains, slaughtering innocents. After finding the slain, Aeduan and Iseult race for safety. And despite differing goals, they've grown to trust one another in the fight to survive. Yet the Bloodwitch keeps a secret that could change everything . . .

When Merik sacrifices himself to save his friends, he is captured by the Fury. However, Merik isn't one to give up easily, and he'll do whatever it takes to save those he loves. And in Marstok, Safi the Truthwitch agrees to help the empress uncover a rebellion. But those implicated are killed and Safi becomes desperate for freedom.

War has come once more to the Witchlands. Perhaps if Safi and Iseult were united, their powers could bring peace. But chaos is not easily tamed.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

I have adored all of Susan's books that I've read before, and I don't know why, but I sort of put off reading this book, just in case it didn't live up to expectations, but it's safe to say that it really did - I loved it!

Following the events of Windwitch, all of our heroes are scattered across the continent. Merik sacrificed himself to save others, and in doing so, cleaved, which means his powers are unstable, and he is at risk of being used by those who wish to harm others. He's battling against himself to reclaim control, and get back to those he loves, including Safi. Safi, in turn, has been wrecked in an 'accident', and must work with the empress to discover who it is who's trying to kill the empress and herself. As they grow closer to uncovering one mystery, Iseult and Aeduan have their own mystery on their hands, and even though they are sworn enemies, the tension and chemistry that has been there throughout the past books comes to a head, and they become a lot closer too.

One thing I've got to say is how fantastic Susan is at world building. All out characters are in different parts of the world, and yet they are all unique - which is a rare thing in YA fantasy at times. Sometimes I wished I was in the world, and then at others, I really didn't. From the backstory of the war, to the magic systems, and politics, everything is so well planned, that I sometimes struggle to read other fantasy books, when they just don't compare.

The characters are all fantastic too. Iseult is my favourite, with Safi in a close second, and though this book was mainly Aeduan's - I do love him too - Iseult really comes into her own, and starts to show her strength and self-reliance in a way we haven't seen in previous books. Also, her relationship with Aeduan really develops, and I ship them so much! I need more from them in the next two books (thank god we're getting two more!). Safi seemed to be a bit quiet, to me at least, in this book, but I think after all the hassle she's had in past books - Merek too - they both deserve a little quiet time. Not to say they didn't do anything, as they were definitely tying together some loose odds, but in comparison to Iseult and Aeduan, they had less of a pivotal role to play this time around.

The ending is a killer, mind, and I can't believe I have to wait so long for book 4, but I guess I'll just have to be patient! If you haven't read any of Sooz's books - go a buy a copy of them, and enjoy!


Dates Read:
February 10-14, 2019

Rating
5 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments