ARC Review: Not Okay Cupid by Heidi R. Kling

10:00

Not Okay Cupid
Series: None
Author: Heidi R. Kling
Published January 11th 2016 by Entangled: Crush

Goodreads Synopsis
Her wicked revenge, or his wicked heart...

Hazel McCallister loves her life. Perfect grades. Perfect best friend. Perfect boyfriend. Until her perfect boyfriend cheats on her with her perfect best friend. Now Hazel’s in free fall—until her best friend’s brother, Felix, gives her the perfect idea. Reclaim her power by taking revenge on her cheating ex.

Felix James loves his life. Casual relationships. Loads of surfing. He’s as drama-free as they come. But he can’t stand by when his sister steals her best friend’s boyfriend, and the dude insists it was Hazel’s fault. So Felix vows to help turn Hazel into a girl her ex can’t resist—so then she can break his heart.

With an alliance in place, Hazel’s revenge is all but assured. But with each piece of payback, she feels a stronger attraction to Felix, even though revenge will turn her into a girl Felix could never be with. And soon Hazel has to make an impossible choice: revenge...or Felix, the boy who’s stolen her heart.

WARNING! This book contains betrayal, revenge, and that most tempting vice of all, the bad boy you know you can't have.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

This book was just one of those cute, fluffy contemporaries that you need to sort of cleanse your reading palette between hard hitting fantasy, dystopian, etc. I read the book in just under 24 hours, and it definitely hit the spot, though wasn't my favourite I've ever read.

In the book, Hazel's best friend Kimmy and boyfriend Jay commit the biggest sin: they get together and cheat on Hazel. As you'd expect, Hazel is devastated, especially considering it all happened in the school cafeteria. To get back at them, Kimmy's brother (I'm thinking twin brother?) Felix cooks up a plan for them - that they get into a fake relationship to make them jealous. Suffice to say, it doesn't turn out for the best, as their 'fake' feelings slowly turn into actual, real feelings. Told in dual PoV, we get to see how both Felix and Hazel deal with their new feelings.

I quite enjoyed the fact that the book offered an insight into both the main character's feelings. However, the voices weren't very distinctive, and seemed very same-y. I liked them as characters, but just wish they were a bit more.

The storyline was very similar to many I've read before, and the whole 'fake relationship to real feelings' trope is one of my favourite in YA books. I don't think I've ever seen one like this though, where it's one of the cheater's brother who came up with the plot. I found the relationship between Hazel and Felix really cute and fluffy, and definitely shipped them. I got very confused at times, because one of Felix's nicknames for Hazel as Basil, and, being English, basil doesn't rhyme with Hazel for me. That definitely took some time getting used to when reading.

All in all, it was a quite enjoyable book. It hit the spot just when I wanted a nice contemporary. However, I think one of the main problems I had with not enjoying it as much, was that I've just read Kasie West's The Fill-In Boyfriend, and that just seemed a bit better executed. I'd still recommend this book, though it may not be my top choice.

Dates Read:
December 10-11, 2015

Rating

3 Stars 

You Might Also Like

0 comments