Review: Winter (The Lunar Chronicles #4) by Marissa Meyer

10:00

Winter
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #4
Author: Marissa Meyer
Published November 12th 2015 by Puffin

Goodreads Synopsis
Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.

Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.

Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?
Goodreads

Review
God, this book was utter perfection! I think the entire book blogging community was waiting with baited breath for this series finale, and it did not disappoint. The only downside I have is that the series is over with now - no more Thorne :(

This book is an absolute whopper! It's 823 pages long - well my copy at least was - and I never found any parts of the story that could have been left out. Every single page of the 823 was important to the plot line, and, to be honest, I would have been so happy if there was even more. 

Our favourite characters are all here, and even some new ones, like Winter, who we've only really seen glimpses of previously. The best part was, we also got PoVs of a lot of these characters, though I do wish there was more from Cress and Thorne - they are by far my favourite characters. The story lines that have been developing in the past instalments of the series are all brought together in one climatic ending, that was everything I wanted it to be. I'm not going to spoil too much here, but I don't think I have ever smiled so much reading the last page of a series finale as I did reading Winter.

Meyer is fantastic at writing relationships, both romantic and otherwise, and I could really feel the connections between each of the characters involved. There were at least four ships in this book, which I think we were all expecting, and also the allusion to another one. Like I said, Cress and Thorne are my favourite characters, and my favourite OTP of the series, but I also adore the ships of Cinder/Kai, Wolf/Scarlet, and Winter/Jacin - even though I originally hated Jacin.

Levana is one serious sick SoB, and she deserved absolutely everything that she got in this book. Even when I read Fairest, and felt *some* sympathy for her, I still couldn't stand the woman. She is definitely one of those YA villains who has absolutely no redemption, and who you hate with a passion, a la Umbridge from HP.

Right, so I think I've rambled on long enough. Basically, this series is amazing, and you should read it all ASAP. The plot is well written, the characters as real as they can be for cyborgs, aliens, etc., and it remains to be one of the best fairytale retellings I have ever read! It may take me a while to get over this series, but at least we have Marissa's new books to look forward to ;)

tl;dr: Buy this book, and series, right now! You will not be disappointed :)

Dates Read:
November 13-16, 2015

Rating
5 Stars

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU 110%. This book was such a great and satisfying end to the series. It’s so great seeing all the characters come together and build each other up. And, of course, the romances were all amazing too. Winter and Jacin were such a nice addition. ♥ Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zoe! I really enjoyed Winter and Jacin too, and wasn't expecting to either :)

      Sophie @ Sophie Reads YA

      Delete