Review: Solitaire by Alice Oseman

10:00

Solitaire
Series: None
Author: Alice Oseman
Published July 31st 2014 by Harper Collins Children's Books

Goodreads Synopsis
In case you’re wondering, this is not a love story.
My name is Tori Spring. I like to sleep and I like to blog. Last year – before all that stuff with Charlie and before I had to face the harsh realities of A-Levels and university applications and the fact that one day I really will have to start talking to people – I had friends. Things were very different, I guess, but that’s all over now.
Now there’s Solitaire. And Michael Holden.
I don’t know what Solitaire are trying to do, and I don’t care about Michael Holden.
I really don’t.
This incredible debut novel by outstanding young author Alice Oseman is perfect for fans of John Green, Rainbow Rowell and all unflinchingly honest writers.
Goodreads

Review
My relationship with this book was so much like my relationship with Perks of Being a Wallflower.: I severely disliked (borderline hated) it, whereas everyone else loved it. This book wasn't as painful as Perks (I mean I managed to read it within a couple of days, as compared to the few weeks Perks took), but every page I read just felt like a waste of time, and that I could have spent that time much better either reading other books or working on my university assignment.

I couldn't relate to Tori at all, and found her quite annoying to be honest. Michael was the only saving grace to this book, and I think it was because of him that I actually read the whole thing and didn't DNF it.

From about the half way point I'd guessed who the ringleader of Solitaire was, and even though the 'big reveal' was still somewhat enjoyable to read, it didn't come as a shock at all. I think the ending probably dragged my rating up from 1 star, but I still couldn't give it anything above a 2.

Considering how much I was looking forward to read this, I'm severely disappointed, and honestly, could not in good conscience recommend this to anyone :/

Dates Read:
April 3-7, 2015

Rating
2 Stars  

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I'm sorry this didn't work for you! That's always a bummer......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a bummer, I was so looking forward to it :(

      Delete