Review: The Conspiracy of Us (The Conspiracy of Us #1) by Maggie Hall

10:00

The Conspiracy of Us
Series: The Conspiracy of Us #1
Author: Maggie Hall
Published January 13th 2015 by Putnam Juvenile

Goodreads Synopsis
A fast-paced international escapade, laced with adrenaline, glamour, and romance--perfect for fans of Ally Carter

Avery West's newfound family can shut down Prada when they want to shop in peace, and can just as easily order a bombing when they want to start a war. Part of a powerful and dangerous secret society called the Circle, they believe Avery is the key to an ancient prophecy. Some want to use her as a pawn. Some want her dead.

To unravel the mystery putting her life in danger, Avery must follow a trail of clues from the monuments of Paris to the back alleys of Istanbul with two boys who work for the Circle—beautiful, volatile Stellan and mysterious, magnetic Jack. But as the clues expose a stunning conspiracy that might plunge the world into World War 3, she discovers that both boys are hiding secrets of their own. Now she will have to choose not only between freedom and family--but between the boy who might help her save the world, and the one she's falling in love with.
Goodreads

Review
I've been after this book for awhile now, and really wish I'd picked it up months earlier. Honestly, I think this may be one of my favourite books ever.

In The Conspiracy of Us, Avery West is flung into a world she never imagined could exist. She finds out that her paternal family, that she knew absolutely nothing about, was part of a sort of secret society that spanned back to the days of Alexander the Great. Now she's part of a quest to uncover the lost tomb of Alexander, and discovers stuff about herself she could never imagine.

Now, you may know that I'm currently studying ancient history, and honestly, Alexander the Great is just perf. Last semester I did a module called 'In Alexander's Footsteps', and will be doing one titled 'The Life and Afterlife of Alexander the Great' next semester. So basically, give me something on Alexander, and I'm bound to love it. I never even knew that he would be such an integral part of this plot, but it made it all the more better!

The main character, Avery, was someone who I truly liked. Quite often these days, I find I'm annoyed with the protagonist at times, and I can't remember ever feeling this with Avery. The events in the book happen over a space of 3-4 day, so of course she isn't perfect every single minute. However, I felt like she coped with everything that was chucked at her really well, and I wish I would react like her if I was ever faced with something similar.

The love interests in this book - yes, there are two, but it never felt like a proper love triangle - were very swoony. I was warned by Liran that I would have a difficult time choosing my fave, but I didn't. Jack is the only one I'll accept for Avery, and I really want Stellan to be more of a brOTP, than an OTP. Both Jack and Stellan did have their qualities about them, but I feel like Jack and Avery were the more similar.

The book ended on what I would say was a cliffhanger, but I know it didn't bother everyone. It's made me desperate for Maps of Fate, and I'm really glad I'm going to the US days after it's release, so I won't have to worry about it being sent across the Atlantic. Like I said, I wish I had read this as soon as it was released, and if you haven't read it yet, I'd definitely recommend it. I sped through the book in less than a day, when I really should have been doing my university assignments, because it was just so fast paced. I'm sort of hoping to do the same with Map of Fates when I get it, but at the same time want to savour it so the wait until book 3 won't kill me.

Dates Read:
November 7, 2015

Rating
5 Stars  

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. This book was definitely very fast paced....looking forward to seeing what happens in book 2

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR?! I honestly couldn't believe it all happened in the space of a few days. I need Map of Fates in my hands, asap, but I guess I can wait til March ;p

      Sophie @ Sophie Reads YA

      Delete
  2. I have had this one for review for a looooooong time - I think I've been hesitant to read it, because I've heard about a potential love triangle. I'd rather have the whole series in front of me than just one of two books, if I've been forewarned about a love triangle (I HATE THEM). So glad you you absolutely adored this book, Sophie!

    Lovely review. :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was warned of there being a love triangle too, but I never really found it to actually be real. There may be some of one in book 2, but I'm not sure if that'll happen.

      I do understand about wanting to have a series to read at once, rather than waiting. Map of Fates is out in March, so maybe you could try them both then?

      Sophie @ Sophie Reads YA

      Delete