Review: I Knew You Were Trouble (Jessie Jefferson #2) by Paige Toon

10:00

I Knew You Were Trouble
Series: Jessie Jefferson #2
Author: Paige Toon
Published July 30th 2015 by Simon and Schuster

Goodreads Synopsis
Life as the undercover daughter of a rock god isn't going to be easy. How will Jessie adjust to her old boring life again after spending her summer living it up with her dad in LA? With tough decisions ahead (and not just choosing between two hot boys), can she cope juggling her two very different lives? 
Summer may be over, but Jessie's story is just beginning…
Goodreads

Review
See my review of The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson.

As soon as I finished book 1, The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson, I immediately dived into this one. Now that Jessie knows just who her father is, and has bonded with him, returning to her old, ordinary life is a difficulty. Though the media and public are aware that Johnny Jefferson has a secret, teenage daughter, they don't know it's Jessie. Soon, however, that information is leaked to the press, and Jessie finds herself back on a plane to LA. Now that she understands the implications of being the daughter of a famous rock star, Jessie has a lot of thinking to do: does she move to LA permanently, or deal with the public scrutiny back at home.

I think I liked both books in the series equally, and am so happy to see that the Jefferson family unit is getting stronger and stronger every second. Meg could've been the stereotypical 'evil-stepmother', but she isn't, and her love for Jessie keeps growing. She honestly treats her the same as she does her biological children, though isn't trying to replace Jessie's late mother, Candy. Barney and Phoenix are just as cute as they were in book 1. What made everything so much better was how Johnny has really matured, and is trying as hard as he can to help Jessie, without being pushy about it. He knows she has an amazing voice, and is helping her train herself through her stage-fright.

On that note, Jessie really comes into her own in this book. I was pleasantly surprised with the majority of the decisions she made in I Knew You Were Trouble, though a few rubbed me the wrong way. Not to go into too much detail, I am really looking forward to seeing how these decisions pan out in book 3, which Toon mentions in her acknowledgements.

Though I've only discovered this series, I have become a quick fan of Toon's writing, and may try her adult books in the future. The Jessie Jefferson series is a wonderful UKYA contemporary series, and one I would recommend to lovers of that genre.


Dates Read:
September 9-11, 2015

Rating
4 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments