Review: The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson (Jessie Jefferson #1) by Paige Toon

10:00

The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson
Series: Jessie Jefferson #1
Author: Paige Toon
Published  August 27th 2015 by Simon & Schuster Childrens Books

Goodreads Synopsis
Meet Jessie, small-town girl turned wild child... 
Jessie has never known her real dad, and when her mum dies she thinks any hope of finding him is gone. As she goes goes off the rails, her stepdad announces that her father is Johnny Jefferson - legendary rockstar and former hell-raiser.
Still dealing with her loss, and now the daughter of a superstar, Jessie is sucked into the LA lifestyle - paparazzi, parties and hot guitar-wielding boys included.
But is Johnny up to the job?
And, more importantly, is Jessie?
Goodreads

Review
I hadn't really heard much about this book, until it's sequel, I Knew You Were Trouble, was released in August. Once I read the synopsis, however, I immediately knew this would be a book I'd like. In The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson, Jessie, who just lost her mother in a freak accident before her 15th birthday, has been spiralling out of control. During one of her many arguments with her step-father, Stu, she finally discovers who her biological father is - rock star Johnny Jefferson. To say she's shocked would be an understatement. After wanting to know for so long, she can't help but be desperate to meet Johnny in person. She is flown to LA to meet her father, step-mother, and half-siblings, though under the guise of the children's nanny, in order to protect her identity.

I loved Jessie. Yes, she's a bit of a mess - drinking, smoking, sneaking out, etc. - but what do you expect from someone who's mother suddenly died the day of her 15th birthday. She's upset, and angry. Her mother would never talk about her father, and she thought she'd now lost him forever too. Luckily her step-father knew who Jessie's biological father was, or else she'd never know. When she met Johnny, she was understandly nervous and worried that her new family wouldn't want her there. Jessie was a very 'real' character, and one I could imagine actually going through everything in the book.

I also really enjoyed Jessie's family members too. Though Stu may not have been her 'real' father, he cared for her, a lot, and tried to help her at everything turn. I'm hoping their relationship is explored more in book 2. Barney and Phoenix, Jessie's half-brothers, where the cutest kids ever, and Jessie's relationship with them was dead sweet. Furthermore, Meg wasn't the stereotypical evil step-mother either, which I was pleasantly surprised by. She may have been a bit wary of Jessie at first, but I can see them having a really nice relationship in the future. There wasn't much of a father-daughter relationship between Johnny and Jessie, but what was there definitely laid the foundation for a beautiful one. I loved their little one-to-one talks, and hope to see more of them.

Jessie may be only 15, but that doesn't mean there's no romance blossoming. Back in Berkshire, she has Tom, the guy she's fancied for ages, who has just asked her to the cinema before she flew to America. While she's meeting her new family, she also meets Jack, the son of one of Johnny's old friends, and they grow very close. I'm not sure who I prefer for Jessie, but I'm sure there'll be a lot of angsty relationship stuff in book 2.

Overall, The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson was a really sweet and fluffy UKYA contemporary. I'm glad I have a copy of I Knew You Were Trouble, cause I can't wait to read more of Jessie's story. Definitely a series I'd recommend.

Dates Read:
September 8-9, 2015

Rating
4 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments