Review: All That Glitters (Geek Girl #4) by Holly Smale

10:00

All That Glitters
Series: Geek Girl #4
Author: Holly Smale
Published February 26th 2015 by HarperCollins Children's Books

Goodreads Synopsis
"My name is Harriet Manners, and I am still a geek." The fourth book in the award-winning GEEK GIRL series. Harriet Manners has high hopes for the new school year: she's a Sixth Former now, and things are going to be different. But with Nat busy falling in love at college and Toby preoccupied with a Top Secret project, Harriet soon discovers that's not necessarily a good thing...
Goodreads

Review
Though this was not my favourite Geek Girl book (that title still goes to Picture Perfect), I absolutely loved it!

The events of All That Glitters follow those of Picture Perfect, meaning we have both a happy and a sad Harriet. The happiness, and somewhat nervousness, she felt towards starting sixth form was wholly relatable, as I had felt exactly the same nearly four years ago when I was in the same position. We see Harriet attempting, and succeeding, to some extent, in making new friends, though this is not without its own problems. The events following these developments were completely understandable, and I think that is one of the things I love the most about this series, that I am able to imagine myself in Harriet's shoes.

Harriet's quirkiness and Britishness is lovable, and I adore being able to appreciate British humour in YA fiction, as the genre seems dominated by non UK-authors. The family dynamic of Harriet, her dad, Annabel, and Tabitha was so cute, and I love the fact these relationships were explored further than they previously had been.

The romance was pretty non-existent, but that was no surprise following the breakup at the end of Picture Perfect. I missed Nick throughout this book, but the little flashback were enough to soothe the loss, in my opinion. I do see some romance perhaps brewing with one of the new characters, and if that is to be explored by the author in further books, I would have absolutely no problem with that.


Overall a very cute, and enjoyable, UKYA contemporary fiction.

Dates Read:
March 23 to 24, 2015

Rating
5 Stars  

You Might Also Like

0 comments