Top 18 books I read in 2016 (+ challenges update)

11:30

Hi everyone, and Happy New Year! I struggled to limit my favourite books I read this year, so here's 18 of them.

- Ally Carter is one of my favourite authors, and when I was able to read Take the Key and Lock Her Up, I jumped at it. It was such a fantastic end to the series, and I would recommend her books to everyone!
- Another 2017 release, Mafiosa was a book I'd been desperate to get my hands on, and when it dropped through my letter box, I started it immediately.  Again, a wonderful end to one of my favourite series.
 - Scandal is one of my favourite TV shows, so The Fixer series was perfect for me. The Long Game was such a good book, but the ending was a killer - I can't believe there's no sequel planned, I NEED one!
 - Normally during the summer I love reading contemporary books, and Wanderlost was just the ticket. A nice, cutesy read, just want I needed.
 - Kasie West's contemporary books are some of the books I would read over and over, and her latest one, P.S. I Like Youwas no different. 
- The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You is a retelling of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, and though I'm not a fan of Shakespeare, this book had me hooked from the first page.
- I adore anything historical, and this year I rediscovered my love of YA historical books, as this list shows. Map of Fates isn't really historical, but it's basis is the history of Alexander the Great, whom I've studied a few times at uni. I am looking forward to book 3, next year.
 - Rebel of the Sands was one of the first pre orders I had for 2016, and one of my favourites. It's such a good debut, and I'm excited for more from Alwyn.
 - I flew through the prequel to this book, The Orphan Queen, and was dying to get a hold of The Mirror King. An amazing book, with all the feels.
 - I think basically everyone and their dog loves this series, and when I got the email saying I was approved for an arc of The Winner's Kiss, I dropped what I was doing (an assignment for uni) and read it straight away. I was sad to see the series end, but couldn't have asked for a better ending.
 - Frostblood isn't even out yet, but if this is how 2017 will go, the year shall be amazing. A wonderful debut, that I wholeheartedly recommend to all.
 - The SLA series is a fantasy series that hit all the boxes for me, and it's finale, Frost Like Night, tied everything up spectacularly.
- I somewhat became obsessed with the story of Jack the Ripper this year, watching all the to shows I could about it, and was lucky enough to win an arc of Stalking Jack the Ripper from the author. Another debut with a fantastic career ahead of her.
 - Like I said earlier, this was the year I rediscovered my love of historical fiction, and the Regency Era has been a favourite of mine since Pride and Prejudice. These Vicious Masks is a hybrid of historic and fantasy elements, and I've already preordered the sequel.
 - The legend of Robin Hood is another favourite of mine, and I've never read anything that made me so happy, and with so much feels as Lion Heart. Another end to a series, again with an ending that tied everything together.
 - Blackhearts was yet another debut I adored this year, and again, I've already preordered the sequel. A retelling/origin story of Blackbeard, I'm looking forward to more piratical elements.
 - Out of all the historical eras I adore, the Tudor period is my favourite in British history. My Lady Jane is embellished history of Lady Jane Gray, the nine day queen of England, but with a better ending than reality. Another mix of fantasy and history, and I'm excited for more collaborations from these authors in the future.
 - The Crown's Game is another mix of fantasy and history, this time set in imperial Russia - another historical era I studied when I was at university. The world building was fantastic, and the author managed to weave fantasy and reality into one epic story.

I also set myself a few challenges this year, and I think I did alright!

The #RockMyTBR 2016 challenge
 - I read 46 books out of a target of 45 (102%)


The 2016 Debut Author challenge
 - I read 22 books out of a target of 20 (110%)


The Goodreads reading challenge
- I read 120 books out of a target of 100 (120%)

Well, I now realise this was quite a long post, thanks for reading it all!
I hope you all have had a wonderful Christmas/holiday season, and have a fantastic New Year! Let me know your favourite books for this year too.

You Might Also Like

0 comments