Review: The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #2) by Rick Riordan

10:00

The Hammer of Thor
Series: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #2
Author: Rick Riordan
Published October 4th 2016 by Puffin

Goodreads Synopsis
Thor's hammer is missing again. The thunder god has a disturbing habit of misplacing his weapon - the mightiest force in the Nine Worlds. But this time the hammer isn't just lost, it has fallen into enemy hands. If Magnus Chase and his friends can't retrieve the hammer quickly, the mortal worlds will be defenseless against an onslaught of giants. Ragnarok will begin. The Nine Worlds will burn. Unfortunately, the only person who can broker a deal for the hammer's return is the gods' worst enemy, Loki - and the price he wants is very high.
Goodreads

Review
See my review of book 1, The Sword of Summer.

After reading book 1 in this series earlier in the year, I couldn’t wait to see how Magnus’ life was going, since he’d recovered the Sword of Summer. This time, thorn has lost his hammer, again, and Magnus has to find it in less than a week, or else Ragnarok will begin. Also, Valkyrie Sam will be married off, without her consent, to a giant, because her father, Loki wants it.

Our favourite characters were exactly how they were in book 1. Magnus is still a bit of a dork, full of sarcasm, and struggling to come to terms with his death. Sam was awesome, and perfect. Her struggles to balance her home life and life as a Valkyrie come closer to home during this book, and she deals with it like a trooper.

We were introduced to a new character in this book, Alex Fierro, who was amazing! Rick is definitely the best for representation, because Alex is a gender fluid character, who is open and blunt about it, and the pronouns to use each day. Alex is also another child of Loki, so has inherited his shape-shifting ability’s too.

Magnus, Sam, and Alex are a trio to rival Percy/Annabeth/Grover. Every time they were on page, I just smiled. Hearth and Blitz are there too, of course, and Hearth’s side story was heart breaking.

Like with Rick’s other books, there’s little to no romance, but I can kind of see one on the cards. Sam and Amir’s romance was lovely to read, but I think there may be one for Magnus in the future – I hope.

Every time I read one of Rick's books, I always learn something new. My degree is half ancient history, so mythology has always interested with me, but Norse mythology was new for me, until this series. I think I'd like to study more on this mythology in the future, and will continue to wait for more of these books to learn. From what I know about Norse mythology, each story is true to source material, with Rick's sarcastic spin. I find these books perfect for the younger generation who want to learn more about ancient mythologies, as if they are alive today. 

Dates Read:
October 7-12, 2016

Rating

5 Stars  

You Might Also Like

0 comments