Review: A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses #2) by Sarah J. Maas

10:00

A Court of Mist and Fury
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #2
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Published May 5th 2016 by Bloomsbury Childrens Books 

Goodreads Synopsis
Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court--but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.

Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms--and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future--and the future of a world cleaved in two.

With more than a million copies sold of her beloved Throne of Glass series, Sarah J. Maas's masterful storytelling brings this second book in her seductive and action-packed series to new heights.
Goodreads

Review
I was really apprehensive about even reading this book, to be honest. I had it preordered for ages, but once it arrived, I put it on my bookshelves and kept skipping over it whenever I picked a new book. The reason why? Because even though I used to love SJM's books, Queen of Shadows put me right off, and then the early reviews coming in saying there'd been another 180 with the characters really got my back up. That being said, I'm really glad I did eventually read this, though some things still bother me. 

In A Court of a Mist and Fury, the action starts up again not long after the end of book 1. Centre is now dealing with being a High Fae, and coping with her PTSD after the events Under the Mountain. Her and Tamlin are organising their wedding, but Tamlin doesn't understand that she isn't suited to being his Mate, and only sitting around the house doing nothing. She needs something to do, and being locked inside isn't good for her. On her wedding day, Rhysand turns up, and decides to cash in their deal, with Feyre going straight to the Night Court to start her 1 week a month deal. When she realises the freedoms she's allowed in the Night Court, compared to how it is at Spring, she looks forward to spending more time with Rhys, and less with her fiancé, Tamlin. 

First things first, I despised Rhysand since meeting him in ACOTAR. To me, he was an abusive SoB, who's actions with Feyre Under the Mountain was basically sexually assault, and I never understood why anyone would like him. I got that Tamlin wasn't the best, but in ACOTAR, he was better. When I saw all the reviews calling Rhys a feminist and so swoonworthy, I thought it was QoS all over again, with the characters seemingly having lobotomies or something, and no one being the same. However, I do see why Rhys is preferred in this book, because he did somewhat redeem himself, but still, I think his actions in book 1 need to be addressed. Tamlin, here, was abusive, and I agree with everyone that even though he might've thought he was doing right, he really wasn't, and Feyre was better off with Rhys. 

Not all the book was about the romance, though that was an extremely large part. The action has kicked up a notch, and the mythology from the world of ACOTAR is developing more and more, and I can't wait to see what else we'll discover in the next books. The new characters who appeared were amazing, and the Night Court seems to be a proper family, something different to Spring and elsewhere.

The ending of A Court of Mist And Fury has made it impossible for me not to read book 3. It wasn't unexpected, but still shocking, and has completely set the stage for the dramatic conclusion to the trilogy. 

Dates Read:
June 15-16, 2016

Rating
5 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments