ARC Review: Ten Thousand Skies Above You (Firebird #2) by Claudia Gray

10:00

Ten Thousand Skies Above You
Series: Firebird #2
Author: Claudia Gray
Published November 3rd 2015 by Harperteen

Goodreads Synopsis
Ever since she used the Firebird, her parents' invention, to cross into alternate dimensions, Marguerite has caught the attention of enemies who will do anything to force her into helping them dominate the multiverse—even hurting the people she loves. She resists until her boyfriend, Paul, is attacked and his consciousness scattered across multiple dimensions. 

Marguerite has no choice but to search for each splinter of Paul’s soul. The hunt sends her racing through a war-torn San Francisco, the criminal underworld of New York City, and a glittering Paris where another Marguerite hides a shocking secret. Each world brings Marguerite one step closer to rescuing Paul. But with each trial she faces, she begins to question the destiny she thought they shared. 


The second book in the Firebird trilogy, Ten Thousand Skies Above You features Claudia Gray’s lush, romantic language and smart, exciting action, and will have readers clamoring for the next book.

Goodreads

Review
My review of book 1, A Thousand Pieces Of You.

I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

This book was one I was not expecting to be able to read before publication. One day, I was browsing Twitter and noticed the Harper 360 account. Being the cheeky person I am, I asked if there was any way to receive a review copy; imagine my surprise when one comes in the post a few days later. I've been wanting to read this book since I got it in July, but my TBR hasn't let me. Even so, I devoured this 400+ page book in less than three days.

Ten Thousand Skies Above You was a beautiful continuation of the Firebird series. Unlike a lot of middle books in YA series these days, there was no lack of plot, lack of action in this instalment; to be quite honest, I preferred this one to book 1. The main plot of this book is that Marguerite's boyfriend's, Paul, soul has been 'splintered' and is lost over four different dimensions in the multi-verse. In order to save Paul, and stop the toxic Night-thief from harming Theo any more, Marguerite must work with Conley to sabotage the research into the Firebird project in these dimensions. Now, that's not as easy as it sounds. Each of these dimensions has there own similarities with Marguerite's own, but with important differences. She may have thought that fate intervened in everyone, but she would be wrong.

Honestly, this book was a complete rollercoaster. The various settings were all beautiful, in there own way, and including Marguerite's home dimension, we visited 7 or 8 different ones. Just when you were getting to grips with the subtle differences between each of the multi-verses characters, something massive happened, and everything became a lot more angst-y. Even when visiting the Russia-verse from the previous book, somewhere that should have been quite nice, and easy to relax in, problems appeared left, right, and centre. I was on the edge of my seat until the very last page, and could've screamed with how it ended - be warned, it will kill you.

Paul and Marguerite will forever be my OTP of this series, but it was not easy sailing for them. Even with the complication of Paul's soul being scattered, there were further challenges that could cripple their relationship in the future. I really enjoyed meeting the various Paul's, just like I had in book 1, and seriously hope this ship keeps sailing throughout the final book. The relationship between Theo and Marguerite was also quite sweet, and I'm happy their friendship has survived after the events of A Thousand Pieces of You

Ten Thousand Skies Above You was everything I wanted, and more, for this book. If you adored book 1 as much as I did, then this should be right up your street. There was no slump, at all, and the action gripped you from the get go. I am now kind of wishing I hadn't read this book early, as I'll have to wait longer for book 3, but don't regret it one bit. I'd definitely recommend this entire series to YA Sci-Fi lovers; if you haven't already, you should get a hold of these books, ASAP.

Dates Read:
September 12-15, 2015

Rating
5 Stars

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I was a bit meh about A Thousand Pieces of You so I wasn't sure whether or not to continue with the series, but your review has given me motivation to give it a try. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fantastic review! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! I hope you enjoy it now, especially if I'm the one motivating you to try :)

      Delete