ARC Review: Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass #4) by Sarah J. Maas

10:00

Queen of Shadows
Series: Throne of Glass #4
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Published September 1st 2015 by Bloomsbury UK

Goodreads Synopsis
Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she's at last returned to the empire—for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past . . .

She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die just to see her again. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen's triumphant return.

Celaena’s epic journey has captured the hearts and imaginations of millions across the globe. This fourth volume will hold readers rapt as Celaena’s story builds to a passionate, agonizing crescendo that might just shatter her world.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

Just a bit of a warning here, this will contain spoilers. I'm waiting a month or so to post my review so that a lot of people will have had time to read the book, without being accidentally spoilt. If you haven't read it, and don't want to be spoiled, I suggest you turn away; otherwise, you have been warned.

Unless you've been stranded on a deserted island or stuck under some rock, you've been waiting for this book. This was quite possibly the most anticipated book of 2015, and the majority of my twitter and goodreads friends have been dying to get their hands on Queen of Shadows. A few weeks before publication, spoilers started circulating about the book, and a lot of people, myself included, were really wary about any forms of social media in case we were completely spoilt. I managed to avoid a lot of them, but did see some that made me a tad scared to start this book. However, I can safely say that although I had a few problems with Queen of Shadows, that I'll get to later, I adored the book, and it's definitely my favourite of the entire series.

Firstly, the major problem I had with Queen of Shadows was something that I'd already been pre-warned (read: spoiled) about, and that was the portrayal of Chaol. I think a lot of people had a feeling that the Chaolaena ship had already sunk harder than the Titanic, but that didn't mean Chaol had to have a complete brain transplant. Seriously, he was a completely different person to how he was in the previous books. He was a complete and utter jerk, and worse names could be used. I wanted to slap him pretty much every time he opened his mouth, and I'd loved him before. Not cool, Sarah, not cool.

That being said, although I'd been a staunch Chaolaena shipper, I quite welcomed the relationship between Aelin and Rowan. I think that's because, like a lot of people have been saying via social media, Aelin =/= Celaeana. Yes they may be the same person, but actually, they're not. Celaena was an assassin who suffered left, right, and centre; Aelin is a Queen. Rowan is a lot more suited to Aelin than anyone else we've seen, and their every interaction was really steamy.

Dorian was just like a lost puppy who needed a big old hug for the majority of the book. After the dramatic events at the climax of Heir of Fire, Dorian is struggling with his humanity, and is losing himself to the Valg prince's control. There were times that I really thought he was gone, and that death would be a more humane than the life he was 'living.'

I adored the new characters, especially Lysandra. I've heard she is also in The Assassin's Blade novella bind up, but I've not read that yet. Each of the new characters brought something new to the plot line, and were really a nice addition, rather than taking away from the old characters. I'm hoping Elide's storyline pans out well, and that she doesn't suffer forever.

Manon, was also a pleasant surprise. When I read Heir of Fire last year, I was seriously bored by her chapters. I'd never clicked with her, and felt like she interrupted Celaena's plot line too much. In this book, however, she really blossomed. She was more of an integral role to the plot, and to the plots of the subsequent books, I'm sure. This time, I couldn't want to get to her's and Elide's chapters, because they were just as vital for information as anyone elses.

Whilst I may have been wary to start this book, that in no way stopped me from devouring the whopper in just over a day. I can't believe I've read 656 pages in that short a time, but it never felt like it was long. The action was there from the get go, and never slowed for a second. You were hit from every side by a multitude of emotions, and didn't have time to calm down before something else happened. Though Sarah upset me slightly with Chaol actions, I will always trust her to do what is best for Aelin, and that's really all that matters. Aelin is queen, and she's will 'rattle the stars'. Seriously, I can't recommend this series enough, and you need to read it as soon as possible.

Dates Read:
September 1-2, 2015

Rating
5 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments