Review: P.S. I Still Love You (To All the Boys I've Loved Before #2) by Jenny Han

10:00

P.S. I Still Love You
Series: To All the Boys I've Loved Before #2
Author: Jenny Han
Published May 26th 2015 by Scholastic

Goodreads Synopsis
Lara Jean didn't expect to really fall for Peter.
She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren't. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.
When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?
In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that’s part of what makes it so amazing.
Goodreads

Review
See my review of To All the Boys I've Loved Before.

I have some quite conflicting thoughts on this book, but I can safely say that I definitely loved it, and it deserves the 5 star rating I've given it.

P.S. I Still Love You begins following the events of To All The Boys, and the fall out of Lara Jean realising she's in love with Peter, and the video of them in the hot tub being made public. This book is definitely a lot angst-ier that To All The Boys, but was still very enjoyable. 

I definitely felt like Lara Jean developed further as a character, and lost some of her naivety in this book, which had been very present in the previous book. I still really like Lara Jean, but her sister Kitty definitely takes the prize for the best character of the whole series. She's a bit cheeky, and conniving - but in a good way. If it wasn't for her, none of the events of series would have happened, and she was very instrumental in solving a lot of the issues in this book, particularly.

One of the main problems I had with this book all revolved around Genevieve. She is pretty much the definition of a bitch, and whilst I understand she had family problems, her reason for hurting Lara Jean was complete ridiculous. Why she had stopped being friends with Lara Jean in the first place was stupid, and I can't believe that everything that has happened since then, was all due to this tiny little issue. 

I was also really conflicted about the two boys. In To All the Boys, there was never a choice to me: Peter was the better choice over Josh. However, in P.S. I Still Love You, I couldn't decide on who was the better choice for Lara Jean between Peter and John. At times it definitely seemed like John would be the best option, as he was unlikely to hurt her as much as Peter was doing, and he seemed like a much fit for Lara Jean, personality wise. However, I did feel some loyalty to Peter because of how sweet he was in both books. I feel like the problems present between Lara Jean and Peter in PSISLY were down to Genevieve, and if she hadn't been around, everything would've gone a whole lot smoother. 

Overall, I completely love this duology, as even with the little issues I had, it was an amazing 5 star read. If you haven't read this series yet, where have you been?! This is by far one of my favourite YA contemporary series I've ever read, and I could not recommend it enough!

Dates Read:
June 7-8, 2015

Rating
5 Stars  

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I thought this book was so great! I was disappointed earlier in the year/late last year when I realized that the author would be taking the duology in the direction of a love triangle (when I read book one back in March 2014, it definitely did NOT seem like that would be the case). But I thought the author did a good job with the romance, surprising me by making someone like me (who hates even a whisper of a love triangle) enjoy how the romance played out. A lovely duology!

    Fantastic review, Sophie. :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alyssa! I know exactly what you mean about the whole love triangle bit, but I found it didn't bother me all too much. It was definitely a lovely duology, and I was really pleased with it :)

      Sophie @ Sophie Reads YA

      Delete