ARC Review: Emmy & Oliver by Robin Benway

10:00

Emmy & Oliver
Series: None
Author: Robin Benway
Published July 16th 2015 by Simon & Schuster Children's Books

Goodreads Synopsis
Oliver's absence split us wide open, dividing our neighborhood along a fault line strong enough to cause an earthquake. An earthquake would have been better. At least during an earthquake, you understand why you're shaking. 
Emmy and Oliver were going to be best friends forever, or maybe even more, before their futures were ripped apart. But now Oliver is back, and he's not the skinny boy-next-door that used to be Emmy's best friend. Now he's the boy who got kidnapped. A stranger - a totally hot stranger! - with a whole history that Emmy knows nothing about. 
But is their story still meant to be? Or are they like the pieces of two different puzzles - impossible to fit together? 
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

This book was complete and utter perfection - and I don't say that lightly. I've just spent the past four hours devouring this book from start to finish; I honestly could not put it down for anything. I knew the book would be wonderful just going off the synopsis, and Benway's previous AKA series - another favourite of mine - though I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I have.

As said in the synopsis, Emmy & Oliver covers the return of Oliver after being abducted by his father 10 years earlier. All of the characters are trying to deal with the fallout of Oliver's return, and trying to assimilate with the fact that 10 years have passed, and they're all basically strangers.

Emmy and Oliver was simple wonderful protagonists, and I'm really pleased that we saw the story through Emmy's eyes, as she suffered just as much as the adults did, if not more, when Oliver disappeared. The only criticism I could make is that it may have been better to have dual POV so that the audience could also hear Oliver's thoughts on it all. The relationship between Emmy and Oliver was beautiful - both platonic and romantic - and the way they understood each other made this even more tangible. I also really enjoyed the relationship of them two, and Caro and Drew - they definitely seemed like really good friends, who all cared for each other.

There were definitely sadder parts to the story, especially when parents, particularly Oliver's, came into the mix. I could definitely understand Oliver's feelings towards both his parents, and Emmy towards hers too, as they were still living in the past, and wouldn't allow the teenagers to be just that: teenagers. 

To be perfectly honest, I don't even think there was any part to the plot that I didn't like. It was all so clever and detailed, again just like the AKA series, and nothing felt out of place. As with all stand-alones I've ever read, I've tended to be left wanting more, and this was no exception. However, the epilogue was the perfect amount of a conclusion, with just a bit of wanting still there.

Basically, this book was perfect,and hands-down one of best books I've read this year. I can not recommend this enough!


Dates Read:
June 5, 2015

Rating
5 Stars 

You Might Also Like

0 comments