ARC Review: Apple and Rain by Sarah Crossan

10:00

Apple and Rain
Series: None
Author: Sarah Crossan
Published February 12th 2015 by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc 

Goodreads Synopsis
When Apple’s mother returns after eleven years of absence, Apple feels whole again. She will have an answer to her burning question – why did you go? And she will have someone who understands what it means to be a teenager – unlike Nana. But just like the stormy Christmas Eve when she left, her mother’s homecoming is bitter sweet, and Apple wonders who is really looking after whom. It’s only when Apple meets someone more lost than she is, that she begins to see things as they really are.

Like a brilliant hybrid of Cathy Cassidy and Jacqueline Wilson, Sarah Crossan entices you into her world, then tells a moving, perceptive and beautifully crafted story which has the power to make you laugh and cry.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

Apple and Rain tells the story of Apple, a 13 year old who wishes her mother would return home after more than ten years. When she finally does, it is not without its own problems, and Apple finally understands that you have to be careful what you wish for.

Apple and Rain was such an unexpected read. Before diving into the book, I was a bit apprehensive, as I wasn't sure what I would think. I am so glad I've had the opportunity to read this outstanding novel! Apollinia Apostolopoulou feels lost in her life. She's living with her very religious, quiet protective and strict, Irish nana, who won't let her have some freedom, and coming to terms with her father's distance, a new stepmother and all the problems that brings with it. Finally, she has her wish of her mother returning home after eleven years, and she thinks everything will be perfect. She couldn't be more wrong. Though Annie seems to be trying really hard, she doesn't do it in a very mother-like way. And, to top it all off, Apple now has to compete with 10 year old Rain, who has her own issues to contend with.

I loved the interactions between Apple and Rain. At first I was slightly perturbed by Rain's 'weirdness', but once more came to light, you could see she was just as lost as Apple, if not more so, and was trying to cope in her own individual way. Apple's attempts to care for Rain were beautiful, and I really forgot that she was only 13 herself - she seemed so much more mature, especially if you compare her with the mother, Annie. To talk about Annie, I honestly could not stand her, I understood that she'd made mistakes, was couldn't cope with a 3 year old when she was only 20, but ever since she'd returned she just played on Apple's insecurities and kindness for her own gain. She was so not fit to be a mother, and, honestly, needed to give her head a good shake.

Though poetry has never be a favourite of mine, I really enjoyed Apple's poems throughout the novel, and how her teacher seemed to really care about her, and saw her potential. Apple was actually such an outstanding protagonist, and her relationships with every single character were truly wonderful.

Towards the end, you could kind of see what would happen next, but, even so, when it actually came, it was still heart racing and exciting, and I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next, and hoping beyond everything, that it would all be ok in the end.

I was so blown away by this book, that I'm extremely grateful I've also got the opportunity to read Crossan's One too. She has sharply become one of my favourite UKYA contemporary authors, and I'm expecting great things from her future books! Seriously, I could not recommend this enough - you need to read it ASAP!

Dates Read:
May 30-June 1, 2015

Rating
5 Stars 

You Might Also Like

0 comments