ARC Review: Head Over Heels (Geek Girl #5) by Holly Smale

10:00

Head Over Heels
Series: Geek Girl #5
Author: Holly Smale
Published April 7th 2016 by HarperCollins Children's Books

Goodreads Summary
“My name is Harriet Manners, and I will always be a geek.”

The fifth book in the best selling, award-winning GEEK GIRL series.

Harriet Manners knows almost every fact there is.

She knows duck-billed platypuses don’t have stomachs.
She knows that fourteen squirrels were once detained as spies.
She knows only one flag in the world features a building.

And for once, Harriet knows exactly how her life should go. She’s got it ALL planned out. So when love is in the air, Harriet is determined to Make Things Happen!
If only everyone else would stick to the script…

Has GEEK GIRL overstepped the mark, and is following the rules going to break hearts all over again?
Goodreads

Review
Also see my review of book 4, All That Glitters.

I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

In Head over Heels, Harriet has accepted that the model life just isn't for her. She's very happy just studying her A Levels, with her new group of friends: Nat, Toby, Jasper, and India. The five of them are the best of friends, and Harriet doesn't need anything to disrupt this. Obviously, something does. She gets a phone call, out of the blue, from Wilbur, who has started his own modelling agency, and wants her to be the face of his company. Harriet is apprehensive, but when she realises just how much Wilbur needs her, she'll do anything, including roping baby Tabitha into modelling too. To top it all off, there's some romance in the cards too.

Wow, this was hands down my favourite of all five of the Geek Girl books, so far! Harriet just keeps getting better and better. I adore her quirkiness, and she really reminds me of myself when I was her age, though she's so much smarter than me. She isn't the best at making new friends, but the ones she has are there for her, and she would do anything for them. Same with her family - yeah, she sort of babynaps Tabitha to take her modelling, but only so she can help Wilbur, and the bairn loves it too.

The action was all in England this time, which was a nice change. I've enjoyed seeing the various exotic locales in previous books, but there's something about England, especially historical sites such as Hampton Court (which I would love to visit someday), that immediately makes me happy.

Like I said, there's romance in Head Over Heels, and though Lion Boy Nick hasn't come back, I proper swooned at it. For someone so smart, Harriet is completely clueless when it comes to reading social cues, and she doesn't even realise that someone cares for her, and really fancies her, until it's right in front of her. Really, she even tries to set this guy up with someone else, thinking that's the best. The side romance between two of the other characters, too, was really lovely to read, and I hope it's explored further in book 6.

Speaking of book 6 - it's the last one, sad face ;'( - what was with that ending?! There hasn't been a real cliffhanger in any of the books before, but, just be warned, there's one hell of a cliffhanger in Head Over Heels. I'm getting myself prepared for a lot of angst ahead, as there's no way that revelation can mean anything but.

Even with the cliffhanger, I adored the whole book. I read it all in about 5 hours, as I was flying to New York for my birthday, and the flight flew by, pun intended. I can't believe how much Harriet has grown throughout the series, and knowing there is only one book left is really sad. I'm dying to get my hands on book 6, and would urge anyone who hasn't started this series, or has, but isn't up to date, to rectify this immediately. The Geek Girl series is one of my all time favourite UKYA series, and I'll always recommend it to anyone.


Dates Read:
March 19, 2016

Rating

5 Stars  

You Might Also Like

0 comments